trident s20? any good

gemsbok

was wondering how this pre stacks against say great river and the phoenix mic pres. i seen its price was dropped from 1400.00 to 999.00 at guitar center. is this a good choice for hard rock vocals and guitar. is it considered a pro piece or just another intermediate step up in the food chain?

With the price drop, the unit has become a little more interesting.
It's plus point is the variable high pass filter. It looks great, but sonically, there are better. BTW, I hate that fake glow thing.

The 9098 is much superior and provides adjustable stereo width facilities.
The DACS Minicamp is stunning and much better than the S20.
DBX586 is also good.
TL PA1 is also very good.

But with the new price drop, it makes it more appealing.

The pantload's name is John Oram... he calls himself "the father of British EQ". Everything I have ever seen that was made by Oram has been excecuted rather poorly.

The price drop from $1,400 to $1,000 is a pretty significant price drop... think he's using better parts or a better construction technique? I don't.

funny thing i got an email today about a 4 t 40th anniversary mic pre from trident that is 999$ i wonder if thats the reason for the price drop?

Last edited:
This unit is not a Trident. Mark Lierly found that the Trident name was available in the USA some years ago as Trident went out of business a long time ago. No one picked up the name, so it sat in the trademark office for years.

Lierly found this out, took the name and now claims the goods to be Trident, because Oram claims to have designed the Trident stuff...BULLSHIT. It was all Malcolm Toft and Barry Porter who designed the Trident.

Hey, why not pick up the old Brill Cream trademark and put out some new hair tonic.... You can't even find the old parts to make the original Trident mic amps. So much iron involved.

FWIW

Back