Trident Hub Type?

avieth

I've been looking in to ordering some tape from RMGI. I need 7" reels of 1/4" tape, but the hub type is throwing me off. I don't want NAB or AEG, but the other option is called trident. I've never heard of a trident hub. Is this the format that will fit on a Fostex R8?

I don't want NAB or AEG, but the other option is called trident. I've never heard of a trident hub. Is this the format that will fit on a Fostex R8?
Yes, it is. I've never heard it called that either, but a quick search throws up a NAB adapter, which is described as "Enabling the use of NAB spools on a machines with trident hub". So yes, it appears to be the normal cine-type spool which the R8 uses.

If I'm correct............

Isn't the "trident" simply referring to the three splined shaft on most model decks? Why there would be a unique name for this I wouldn't know.:confused:

I used to use Ampex 456 with my Fostex A-8, there was a bit more headroom & less print through from what I remember compared to 457?
Well, they're the same formulation so I'm not sure about the difference in headroom. Thinner tape would certainly be more susceptible to print-through, though.

I was planning on using SM911 or SM486.

EDIT: LPR35 is definitely what I want. I neglected to notice how many feet of tape would be provided.

I used PER 528 (I ordered the wrong tape, wanted SM911) and it flaked immediatly... I hope the other RMG tapes will be better than that....

Back