Trident 24 London - my "new" console

I was asked about my progress...so here's an update. In the last post above from 3 weeks ago I said at least 5 more weeks...and I think I'm right on target, and I should have this done in a couple of more weeks...but like I said earlier, most of the work is happening on the weekends.

First I had to clean up some of my old wiring and also move some gear from one rack to another.

StudioOverhaul_01.jpg

Along with the wiring clean up some old PBs were removed, and I made room for the new PBs.

StudioOverhaul_02.jpg

These are the new PBs and new snakes that came with the console that I have to sort out and adapt to my setup.

StudioOverhaul_03.jpg

Got the first PB hooked up to the back of the console, and installed in my PB rack....4 to go.

StudioOverhaul_04.jpg

This is all the old wiring that I removed that is no longer needed.

StudioOverhaul_05.jpg

This is the new A/C power supply setup...all Furman units. 1.) There's a power relay (not shown) that acts as a breaker when the power goes out to keep it from suddenly coming back up, allowing my to manually power everything back up.
2.) then follows a first layer of spike/surge protection, 3.) then a second layer of spike/surge protection and also voltage regulation, 4) and then finally a balanced power unit that feeds the whole studio.

In the corner next to the Furman rack is my console PSU rack with the 4 Acopian PSU.

StudioOverhaul_06.jpg

I also had to build a new over-the-meter-bridge shelf for my studio monitors and my dual computer screens, The shelf runs across the top of the console from one rack to the other rack and ties it all together so it looks like one unit.

StudioOverhaul_07.jpg

I think this weekend I will finish installing the new PBs and running some additional wiring to accommodate the new rack layout, and that should get to an almost finished state. After that I just need to go through all the gear and the console to make sure all the PB points are working and nothing got miswired...and then FINALLY I may get back to making some music and putting the new console to work. :)

It's looking awesome. I love the red!

I'm not surprised to see a pile of old TS to RCA snakes on the floor. You won't need those any more :)

It's looking awesome. I love the red!

Home Depot...Glidden Paints "Burnt Sienna". :)
I've always been a Savoy Brown fan, and they had an album called "Raw Sienna".
When I was considering colors for the furniture way back, I had an idea for something in that red/crimson shade...and then I saw the "Burnt Sienna" on the Glidden paint chart, so I just had to go with that. :cool:

That pile of discarded cables probably cost as much as some people's entire home recording rigs.

Ahhh...yeah, most definitely...
...and the pile of Mogami/Canare snakes and PBs that I got with the console are enough to cover at least two typical home recording rigs. :D

There was a guy not too long ago on one of the forums here who had an involved thread about how best to combine his 6' mic and headphone cables into one cable...because having two 6' cables was too much trouble for him to deal with. :facepalm: :laughings:

Coming along nicely.

Wow! Thats some super clean wiring! :thumbs up:
On my first look on my tiny phone screen, I thought to myself, OMG! He covered it all in red Marshall tolex. :D
Later realized it was paint.
If you want to sell off some rca cabling, keep me in mind. I'll be needing some more down the road.

Thanks for the update! :)

A friend said to me a long time ago..."neatness counts".
I mean...it's not some "Felix Unger" ghey thing... :D ..but when you have limited space, and everything has to fit tightly yet also easy to access and sort out when needed...you have to be neat and plan every square inch of space.
Some of the harnesses were done by the engineer who installed this console in the previous owner's studio...so I won't take credit for all of it...but I do try to keep it as clean as I can with the limited space I have for cramming all this gear into.

In my experience, getting the wiring neat and tidy when doing an original installation is relatively easy.

It's KEEPING it that way as you modify or add things over the coming years.

Why do I think miroslav probably won't let the quality slip?

The Trident Trimix consoles get a fair amount of respect, coming from that same period as the Series 80 consoles.
$7k+ USD is not a bad price for one of those, assuming not major work needed...though you will have a much bigger project removing it, shipping it and installing it.
That would certainly be too big for my needs. I've already had to do a lot of work to get this 28-channel London worked into my space...but it's almost done!!! :)
I've had to do a good amount of work sorting out the PBs and cabling that came with it to make it all match my setup and needs. I"ve got one more PB that I'm trying to decide how to use, as it would require a complete wiring/soldering rework to get the full use from it, where the others I was able to just reconnect back to the console as they work and then just sort things out with my old PBs...etc..etc.

So finally...FINALLY...after two months, my studio is back to a working condition.
This weekend I will be able to fire it up and get back to making some music.

Looking at the before and after pics below....it doesn't look like much work was involved...but man, desoldering and the rewiring half the patch bays plus the back of the console took a lot of work and time!!!
The whole point was to cut in a console that was substantially longer than my old one, and still have the studio look like it didn't really change much.

This....

Studio03.jpg

...and this, took a lot of time...not to mention, I rearranged/rewired most of the rack gear too!

Studio02.jpg

BEFORE: With my TASCAM M-3500

Studio04.jpg

AFTER: The Trident 24 London looks very much at home. Can't wait to start pushing audio through it! :)

Studio01.jpg

spot the difference! i love these games ! .. guitar,reels,racks oh and that plants bigger! ;)

looks great,really does ... i'm not jealous or anything .... no ... nope .... ..... ........ :(

pics are great,pron :D

Man, that's an incredible room. The new console looks amazing in there. So, is this a personal home studio, or do you have clients in?

So, is this a personal home studio, or do you have clients in?

It's a personal studio...but everything was installed and configured from a commercial studio perspective.
Whenever I'm adding gear to it or making changes, I always consider what would be the best options if I was ever going do any outside work, and not just what's best for doing my own stuff and recording solo. So as-is, it would not be any stretch to do outside work, I just haven't really cared to.

I mean...I'm sure that I enjoy it more as my personal space than I would if I had people coming and going all the time...but I have recorded outside work on occasion with people I know.

It may seem like overkill for a personal studio...but it's like any extreme hobby, you take it to the limits of your capability and your budget. That's what makes it so enjoyable. IOW, the space is as much fun as it is making music in it. :)

Last edited:
Overkill? Hell no. I've seen some model railroad hobbyist's spaces in a two car garage that would rival any home studio in cost. My motto. You like, you want, you can afford ? It's all good!
:D

Overkill? Hell no. I've seen some model railroad hobbyist's spaces in a two car garage that would rival any home studio in cost. My motto. You like, you want, you can afford ? It's all good!
:D

Yeah...that, and things like restoring cars and owning boats and whatnot...lots of ways to go extreme. :D

I kinda meant the modern home rec crowd may think "Just buy a computer and some apps and plugs...why get this involved with all this recording hardware?"

Main reasons...I've had a hardware rig long before the computer DAW became so prevalent and usable, and I think the hybrid use of both, the tape tracking, the DAW editing, the console & outboard mixing, etc...gives me the best options and results.
Plus, I do love working with the full-blown hardware setup. Turning the knobs, patching signal chains, being able to roll my chair over to a rack to adjust some parameters...it gets me away from that tunnel vision scenario of just staring into a computer for everything.
It's a very welcoming environment...everyone that's walked in always seems to think so. You like want to just hang there and record....and I don't have any kind of neighbor issues or any of that nonsense...so it is a very much a true studio setup.

I think I'm done now, for awhile. :) The console upgrade was my last bit of serious madness, though I may see a new piece of rack gear come in from time to time. I've got to first unload some of my leftover gear...my Fostex G16, the TASCAM board, and a few excess pieces of outboard I just never use.

Beautiful install and nice desk...sorry, console. Still used to calling them desks.

Desk...board...console...mixer...yeah, lots of different names. :)

These days, some people say desk/console...and they mean the furniture that they put their computer DAW on.
I think "board" and "mixer" tend to be used a lot by the live mixing guys.
"Console" is probably just short of "mixing console"...which is what I think is how the old school guys originally called them, and then it just became "console".

Anyway...a rose by any other name. ;)

That's cool, it makes me feel less indulgent in my own studio investment :) I don't have many other hobbies that are big time/money sinks. Playing, writing, recording, or simply futzing around or fawning over gear...like you guys said, there are people in the world sinking just as much or more into boats, cars, green fees, country club memberships.

My wife actually laughed when I called this my hobby. It didn't connect as equivalent to gluing plastic models together on the kitchen table.

Anyways, beautiful room and setup there man. I bet it's a joy to work in that room.

Back