Tribute to a friend

mikeh

I just wrote the following lyrics when I returned from a funeral. I knew the guy for more than 40 years. We went to grade school togther. The first band I was ever in, I formed with this guy. The first song I ever wrote, I wrote with this guy. He was a fine guitarist and a fine songwriter.

Sadly, he was also a crack addict who chose to kill himself in a way that brought shame to his family and impacted many people. While I don't endorse suicide - doing it in a public manner that draws media attention etc. is not only cowardly, but selfish. While I prefer to think of him as a fine musician who perhaps by forming that 1st band and writing that f1st song - helped push me into a 40 year career in music, I instead find myself thinking what a fool he was.

After we formed our first band, we went serperate ways - me, on the road as a musician and he, to Vietnam as a soldier. He was wounded, and came back a changed man, hooked on smack. For the next 40 years while establishing himself as a 1st call guitarist, he struggled with various drug addictions and mental problems. Our paths would cross every few years and we'de do a gig or recording session, we continued to be "friends" - but he was never the wonderful person he use to be.

Some claim Vietnam killed him (it just took 40 years) just to make it seem a little more noble. I say the drugs killed him and there is nothing noble about that.

So I wrote some words and given that he was a songwriter - what better place to post them. So...this one's for you, Steve.

The Measure Of A Man

Verse
The mirror may not be kind, to those who dare to look
The things we say, the things we do, are like an open book
Keep in mind, reputations stay behind

Verse
Karma has a way of playing tricks, we don't expect
History is full of those who know and show regret
Don't unwind, reputations stays behind

Bridge
The roads we take, mistakes we make, shape our destiny
Every act along the way defines our legacy

Chorus
The measure of a man, is valued more than gold
The only real thing we have is something we can't hold
The measure of a man

Reactions: mjr
mikeh said:
I just wrote the following lyrics when I returned from a funeral. I knew the guy for more than 40 years. We went to grade school togther. The first band I was ever in, I formed with this guy. The first song I ever wrote, I wrote with this guy. He was a fine guitarist and a fine songwriter.

Sadly, he was also a crack addict who chose to kill himself in a way that brought shame to his family and impacted many people. While I don't endorse suicide - doing it in a public manner that draws media attention etc. is not only cowardly, but selfish. While I prefer to think of him as a fine musician who perhaps by forming that 1st band and writing that f1st song - helped push me into a 40 year career in music, I instead find myself thinking what a fool he was.

After we formed our first band, we went serperate ways - me, on the road as a musician and he, to Vietnam as a soldier. He was wounded, and came back a changed man, hooked on smack. For the next 40 years while establishing himself as a 1st call guitarist, he struggled with various drug addictions and mental problems. Our paths would cross every few years and we'de do a gig or recording session, we continued to be "friends" - but he was never the wonderful person he use to be.

Some claim Vietnam killed him (it just took 40 years) just to make it seem a little more noble. I say the drugs killed him and there is nothing noble about that.

So I wrote some words and given that he was a songwriter - what better place to post them. So...this one's for you, Steve.

The Measure Of A Man

Verse

Verse

Bridge

Chorus
The measure of a man

Great lyrics. Really make you think.

ido1957 said:
Great lyrics Mikeh - sorry about your friend. That's a sad story..... :(

It does remind me of a lyric from a Garth Brooks song:

"There's two dates in time that they'll carve on your stone
and everyone knows what they mean.
But what's more important is the time that is known
by that little dash there in between."

Mikeh,

Sorry about your friend. The lyrics really do make you think.

mikeh said:
The Measure Of A Man

Verse

Verse

Bridge

Chorus
The measure of a man

It's sad that you lost a good friend to get this song. My grandfather always said,"There is no cloud so dark that it doesn't bring someone some good." This is a nice testament to your friend's life rather than his death. At some point you may want to add a verse with some double entente playing on the real measure of a man's life. Sorry for your loss.

Thanks for your kind words. I like the idea about trying to add a verse as up-fiddler suggest - this does need a last verse to add some "finish"

I haven't really decided how much time to spend on this. It's possible that I could work on the lyrics (this was really completed in about 5 minutes - no re-writes, etc). The melody and bed tracks (I spent less than 1/2 tracking bass, drums & one guitar - all last night) are not as "commercial" as I normally write - so I don't know if my publisher would be real interested.

Sometimes I miss the days of just writing to please myself - rather than writing to please a publisher. If only I had enough time to do both :(

I'd suggest

I like the opening line, but the lead up line is too easy of a rhyme, the poetry of it is too straightforward. Take Neil Young's Needle and the Damage Done:

"I sing this song because I loved a man
I know that some of you don't understand
Milk blood to keep from running out"

The first two lines are pretty straight forward, almost prose, the third has always struck me as very creepy and poetic. Also, Young doesn't rhyme everything in the song. I think it subtly jars people.

"The measure of a man, is valued more than gold
The only real thing we have is something we can't hold"

I like this part, but the repetition of the measure of a man line seems unnecessary. I would suggest minimal repetition in this song, you've got a strong source of inspiration and some snatches of nice poetry. Also, I suggest stealing 'My grandfather always said,"There is no cloud so dark that it doesn't bring someone some good."'

Sorry if I was harsh on your song lyrics, it just seems to me they don't owe up to the themes. Don't be scared to be angry at him in the song, if it's real emotion it suits the song better. What you said about the people saying the war killed him, the false view of nobility, all that would really suit it.

Back