Triangle Room Setup

maddrummer

Hey guys, So here's a pic of my room, sorry I'm not an artist. Curious to how you guys think I should set it up. I also have some 2" foam, I know it's not the best, but I just want to hear some thoughts. It's an apartment so I really can't do any kind of construction and don't have the cash to do it anyway. Thanks

Josh

PS this would mainly be used as a control room, not so much as a live room.

If by "gear" you mean speakers/mixer, etc, that's probably the worst place you could put it acoustically. Any time you fire a sound wave into a 90 degree corner (the one behind the "gear") you get a parallel reflection right back to you, no matter what angle you "fire" into that 90 degree corner. Try it on a pool table sometime -

Putting speakers on that long wall means you'll get early reflections right back to you from both speakers, unless you deaden ALL the walls in the room.

If you were to put the desk in the 90 degree corner, at a 45 degree angle to each wall of that corner, ("kitty-corner") and put absorbent (like 3-4" foam, or 2" rigid fiberglas insulation wrapped in cloth) across the rear of the desk (make a triangle of the corner, behind the desk) then put your speakers up against the foam and make an equilateral (60 degree) triangle of your head and the two speakers - you'll still need to absorb the long wall the same way, but only about the middle 2/3 of it.

Triangle suck for acoustics, so that's probably about the best you could hope for in that space.

I tried to mark your drawing up, but paint got wierd, maybe because the drawing was in black and white originally - this is what I meant, sorta... Steve

Attachments

• triangle room1.jpg
    triangle room1.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 238
Either foam or rigid fiberglas used as an absorber will work better (to lower frequencies) if it's stood off the wall by a few inches (and if foam, turn it inside out so the smooth side is facing out, works better yet) - spacing absorbent off the wall only works if the absorbent isn't closed off at the rear - so you would NOT want to mount the foam to plywood and then hang the plywood a few inches off the wall, or you defeat the purpose of spacing away from the wall.

One of the better ways of doing this is to use lattice and glue the foam to the lattice - then you hang the lattice with heavy picture wire from the ceiling, but close to the wall. Or you can use spacers if you're allowed to make more holes in walls, etc - There was an article on doing just this in either Recording mag or Electronic Musician several months ago, but don't remember which one or exactly how long. Here's a pic of the stuff I'm talking about, it's usually available at places like Home Depot, Lowes, etc - sometimes in the garden dept. and sometimes in building supplies (around the plywood, etc)

http://www.jeffersonlumber.com/productlines/901572049.html

If possible, take up any carpet, replace it with wood or vinyl flooring and then hang one of these lattice/foam panels over your mix area, parallel to the ceiling and about 4" away from it - cuts 'way down on bad reflections that muddy your stereo imaging from the speakers... Steve

A very easy way to mount foam is to get some 1"x1/2" wood and build up some frames like a picture frame. Then just spray glue the foam to the frames. It makes them easy to hang and it hardly adds any weight to it. I can hang my 2'x4' absorbers with one heavy nail.

Back