Tremolo springs

grinder

The tremolo springs on my Ibanez Edge are sqeaking and making noise. I keep the contact points lubricated. Is this a sign that a spring is fatigued and ready to break?

I can't imagine that the springs would fatigue unless they've been exposed to some sort of corrosive and are showing visible deterioration. I haven't had a guitar with a tremolo on it for a few years now, but I don't seem to remember mine ever making any noise. Maybe the lubricant that you put on the contact points is causing or augmenting it?

I guess that you need to determine exactly where the squeak is coming from. Not sure how to do that, though.

I always kept wedges of those makeup-applicator sponges inbetween my tremolo springs because they'd resonate and ring out thru the pickups when I stopped playing. Maybe that'd at least help dampen the squeak?

Keep that backplate on it, because in the off chance that they do break, it'd hurt like hell if you took a flying spring to the Peter in the middle of a set!

I had A BC Rich that did the same thing. My local guitar tech suggested I take the springs out and soak them overnight in some Marvel Mystery Oil. He swore it would work, but I just swapped the springs for new ones. I think it's the same as a bed spring they get Old 'N Squeeky. I don't think they'll break on you, but why risk that during a live set. Break one while your playing and, unless you have a backup guitar right close by, you'll be in some trouble.

I had an old fender that squeaked...it took them out...mixed them up and the squeak went away...you might try to turn them around end to end and/or do a rotation on them.

It's worth a try.

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll replace the springs, the guitar is 14 years old. I'll try the sponge trick too. Should work, as long as it doesn't get pinched by the springs, good idea, Tadpui.

Thanks, Grinder

Try spraying them with a Silicon Lubricant (not WD40). You can get Silicon Lubricant at any "Depot" store. It will actually penetrate the surface and increase the life of the springs (So I was once told).

Back