Tremendous Bass Tone - How To Mix A Bass Guitar

Sometimes burnished faeces is its own reward.
I didn't like Boston for just that reason.
Perhaps the assumptions and chromecleen are why I don't like most metal post 1978.

Vigo,
Why would you want a sticky for a series of claims that a) haven't been substantiated by any audio evidence and b) that apply to a very narrow genre? Are you bedazzled by the glamour of the names & ideas that are applied by one fellow to bass because he says it can take it?

All this over bass? In modern metal? Jeez. Is it ironic that the bass usually gets mixed out under typewriter kick drums and stupid guitars in modern metal?

then rename the topic and add a couple of samples and there you go, i followed some steps on one of my mix and im more than pleased you narrow-minded gentleman

Vigo,
"...then...add a couple of samples and there you go..."
is basically what I've asked for.

The topic is narrow & the evidence hasn't been presented to support the massive amount of manipulation recommended.
I'm pleased you've had success - PLEASE post a before, after, in & out of mix samples so other can hear what all the to do is about.

"...you narrow-minded gentleman".
Well, your narrow range of posts and limited time in HR might have allowed you to form this narrow & not evidence based assumption but it would be , in terms of Greg, generally wrong and in terms of me - possibly correct when it comes to posts that make such extravagant yet unsubstantiated claims.

I am narrow minded. I think all of this is extremely stupid. I think metal music is stupid. I think metal mixes are stupid. I think bass guitars are stupid. That's just me though. I'm not trying to discourage anyone from jumping through all of these hoops if they want to.

Hi here's a bass sample on how it sound like in a mix:

Since I am trying to help people with a low budget I've used only software to get the sounds.
No hardware at all.

Podfarm - Guitar Sound.
Metal Machine for drums.

Thanks

am i the only one who think this should be sticky?

Thank you, appreciate it!

then rename the topic and add a couple of samples and there you go, i followed some steps on one of my mix and im more than pleased you narrow-minded gentleman

Thanks for the support

Vigo,
Why would you want a sticky for a series of claims that a) haven't been substantiated by any audio evidence and b) that apply to a very narrow genre? Are you bedazzled by the glamour of the names & ideas that are applied by one fellow to bass because he says it can take it?

Hello my friend,

I tried to post an update to mention that is basically for modern mixes and also to post audio evidence,
but I can't cause of no privileges to edit it, sorry about that.

I should have included an audio sample first, but I posted a sample right above from this post :)

Vigo,
"...then...add a couple of samples and there you go..."
is basically what I've asked for.

The topic is narrow & the evidence hasn't been presented to support the massive amount of manipulation recommended.
I'm pleased you've had success - PLEASE post a before, after, in & out of mix samples so other can hear what all the to do is about.

"...you narrow-minded gentleman".
Well, your narrow range of posts and limited time in HR might have allowed you to form this narrow & not evidence based assumption but it would be , in terms of Greg, generally wrong and in terms of me - possibly correct when it comes to posts that make such extravagant yet unsubstantiated claims.

ahah you talk like my brother i like you dood

Yeah, samples - I can't listen properly as I'm at work but will listen this afternoon on something decent.
The point is simply that folk can make informed decisions now. Extra helpful that you've used freebies too.

I have to say I hate mixing bass. I struggle with balancing the low end boom with the high end definition.

Well, I finally had a chance to listent to what we were talking about. Honestly, in the 1st two samples it doesn't sound like a bass as I know it. The third part is closer to my idea of bass but lacks the two components I best love - proggy growl definition and good old fashioned thump.
I think the problem are a) that the parameters of what a bass should do in modern metal is very much like the bass/kick drum: both are processed almost beyond recognition and b) as a bassist I probably have too narrow a preconceived idea about what bass should sound like in a range of genres

Bass is the main instrument that when soloed can sound great--how you want your bass to sound--but in the mix can get lost. You turn up, gets boomy. I have to say that this has as much to do with your other instruments. You have competing frequencies, they add up, phase out, etc.. One thing to do is to cut the very low freqs on your guitars, keys whatever. Leave a good thump and crack on the drums. In the EQ of your mastering 2-track out, dump some of those lows from the overall mix. What happens to the bass when you cut the boom is it loses volume. But now you can push it up a bit more and it will be somewhat tighter. BUT YOU SAY YOUR GUITARS SOUND GREAT WITH THAT THICK LOW-MID! Ok, do you want a song with just these great guitars, or a song with drums, bass, guitars, keys, shaker, theramin, .....

Hi! Allow me to update the thread with an audio clip that I've mixed some years ago.

I use the exact same method I've posted, so there you go:

Bass is the main instrument that when soloed can sound great--how you want your bass to sound--but in the mix can get lost. You turn up, gets boomy. I have to say that this has as much to do with your other instruments. You have competing frequencies, they add up, phase out, etc.. One thing to do is to cut the very low freqs on your guitars, keys whatever. Leave a good thump and crack on the drums. In the EQ of your mastering 2-track out, dump some of those lows from the overall mix. What happens to the bass when you cut the boom is it loses volume. But now you can push it up a bit more and it will be somewhat tighter. BUT YOU SAY YOUR GUITARS SOUND GREAT WITH THAT THICK LOW-MID! Ok, do you want a song with just these great guitars, or a song with drums, bass, guitars, keys, shaker, theramin, .....

Haha could not have said it better my friend!

It's really remarkable how much distortion the bass guitar needs for a metal mix, for example.
In solo it's pretty much uncomfortable but great within the mix!

Back