Treating a Unique Room

bdam123

So I just moved into a new place. I have a room that will designated as the studio that has some unique features. I was on here a few months ago asking question about my last work space so I have a basic grasp on how I should be treating the room. I have a few questions that hopefully you guys can help me with. First I will give as detailed description of the room as I can. I apologize for the length of this post. I just want to be as thorough as possible to help you guys help me. Thank you in advance.

The general dimensions (floor space) of the room are:

W: 12 ft 6 in
H: 8 ft
L: 21 ft 8 in

On either side, where the side walls meet the ceiling there are square projections that run the length of the walls. The dimensions of the projections are:

W: 1 ft 6.5 in
H: 1 ft 2 in

Below is a link to a picture of what I just described.

View image: IMG 4541

On the left side of the room there is a recession that starts 5 ft 4 in from the front wall. The dimensions are:

W: 1 ft 4 in
L: 8 ft 5 in
H: 6 ft 10 in

Below are links to two pictures of what I just described. The first showing where/how it starts from the left side wall and the second showing the entire recession full on.

View image: IMG 4543

View image: IMG 4542

There are 6 wooden 4.5 in x 6 in beams that span across the ceiling. The first one starts 2 ft 1 in from the front wall with the rest spaced evenly 39 in from each other.

View image: IMG 4544

The rear wall (21 ft 8 in from the front wall) consist of two glass panel doors on the right and plain wall in the left. The left side has a small gap in the square projection at the top.

View image: IMG 4545

My Plans So Far:

1) Early reflection panels on either side and above the listening space (it doesn’t look like the first wooden beam will be in the way). The panels will be made of 3” thick, 23” by 47” Roxul with 2” of air space behind. From my estimations, it looks like the left side panel will coincide with where the recession starts. I think I will have to have the panel on a stand there.

2) Bass traps in every corner except for where the doors are. They will be from the floor up to the projections. Also a bass trap centered on the corner where the front wall meets the ceiling. The traps will be made of 4” thick, 24" wide Roxul with the fluffy pink stuff stuffed behind them.

3) 2D Diffusers on the ceiling between the 4th and 5th beam and the 5th and 6th beam.

Questions:

1) How do I treat the projections?

2) How should I treat the recession?

3) Should the 2D diffusers span the entire width of the ceiling?

4) Is my room long enough to not worry about the back wall and the glass doors? If not, how should I treat them? I was thinking maybe a 1D diffuser in the back wall at least.

Once again I apologize for the long post. Please feel free to touch on any points/concerns I might have overlooked.

I'd just start with your plans for corner traps, cloud and first reflection points - but also add one on wheels for that back corner with the french doors. You'll probably need a couple more traps along the 21' walls, possibly in the recesses, to stop any flutter echo. You might want traps or diffusion on the back wall between the left corner and hte french door.
Then do some tests, and see what else is needed (including diffusion - doubt its needed on the ceiling areas at all).

I'd just start with your plans for corner traps, cloud and first reflection points - but also add one on wheels for that back corner with the french doors. You'll probably need a couple more traps along the 21' walls, possibly in the recesses, to stop any flutter echo. You might want traps or diffusion on the back wall between the left corner and hte french door.
Then do some tests, and see what else is needed (including diffusion - doubt its needed on the ceiling areas at all).

Thanks for the reply. Please excuse my ignorance, but what kind of "test" can I do?

If you want to test, we've got a tutorial on Room EQ Wizard on our site here, which is a free measurement program - all you need is a mic! Room EQ Wizard Tutorial - GIK Acoustics
This will help you figure out how deep of bass trapping you really need. You'll have resonances down to 48 Hz but depending on your speakers and position you may only need to do some corner traps that are the size of soffits, I would suggest doing them at least 17" x 17". Or if 50 Hz isn't important than you you could get away with smaller superchunks/soffit traps.

The ceiling soffits don't need any special attention. Panel on stand will do fine for recession (could do something like this: http://www.gikacoustics.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/GIK-FreeStand-Acoustic-Panel-living-room.jpg)
Diffusors don't need to span the entirety of the width, but you could do maybe three 24" x 24" sections. 1D diffusor on the rear wall would be great. Thick trapping works well on the rear wall. You could always do a combo of both.
You seem to have a good grasp on what you need to do in the room. Hop to it!

If you want to test, we've got a tutorial on Room EQ Wizard on our site here, which is a free measurement program - all you need is a mic! Room EQ Wizard Tutorial - GIK Acoustics
This will help you figure out how deep of bass trapping you really need. You'll have resonances down to 48 Hz but depending on your speakers and position you may only need to do some corner traps that are the size of soffits, I would suggest doing them at least 17" x 17". Or if 50 Hz isn't important than you you could get away with smaller superchunks/soffit traps.

The ceiling soffits don't need any special attention. Panel on stand will do fine for recession (could do something like this: http://www.gikacoustics.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/GIK-FreeStand-Acoustic-Panel-living-room.jpg)
Diffusors don't need to span the entirety of the width, but you could do maybe three 24" x 24" sections. 1D diffusor on the rear wall would be great. Thick trapping works well on the rear wall. You could always do a combo of both.
You seem to have a good grasp on what you need to do in the room. Hop to it!

Thanks for the reply.

I changed some of the plans and decided on 24" x 24" super chunks. I decided on that because I have 24" Roxul. Is that going to be overkill?

Also, should I place additional panels further down walls? I'll obviously have them at the early reflection points but where else should the be?

Thanks for the reply.

I changed some of the plans and decided on 24" x 24" super chunks. I decided on that because I have 24" Roxul. Is that going to be overkill?

Also, should I place additional panels further down walls? I'll obviously have them at the early reflection points but where else should the be?

A 24" x 24" x 34" superchunk has the same volume as our 17" x 17" square soffit traps - so no, I don't think it would be overkill.
Yes you'll want some on the sidewalls further down - not much but a few to prevent flutter in the back of the room. Of course, you could also use diffusors or a combination to get the same effect, or even something to just redirect the sound to the diffusor in the rear.

I'm back with another little question guys.

I can save a little bit if I choose to go with 1x5 wood panels to build frames but I sacrifice an inch of airspace I would have gotten with the 1x6 panels. Is the extra inch of airspace worth the money? Or is an inch difference not significant?

I'm back with another little question guys.

I can save a little bit if I choose to go with 1x5 wood panels to build frames but I sacrifice an inch of airspace I would have gotten with the 1x6 panels. Is the extra inch of airspace worth the money? Or is an inch difference not significant?

Without knowing the construction method you are referring to, I am not sure anyone can answer that. Maybe I missed something...

Please elaborate.

If you mean the airspace behind the trap, just use hangers that keep the trap off the wall by an inch or so. the airspace shouldn't be inside the trap.

Look at it as a "lots of corners" problem for creative trapping solutions. 21 feet is a pretty long room, so diffusion might actually help on the far wall if your mixing position is at the opposite end. Make sure your mixing position has symmetry to the left and right a fair distance from your position to the far end of the room.

Nice space, man.

Back