Treading water with MIdi

Pastor Clyde

So I have my foot in the door with Reaper after alot of time at it. I tried to use my Roland plugged into my system via USB and got it to record in the Midi mode and found out the only way I could play the recorded track was to have the Roland on . My system eventually crashes big time from plugging my Roland into the USB. I need a new system , my sister in Silicon Valley wants me to go with Linux for internet use. More stuff to learn ! . So that is pretty much what I know about how MIDI works on a practical level other than it is the standard for digital music . I see the channels and cant seem to get Sample tank library integrated yet but I am working on it. I have been able to put a few virtual instruments on Reaper VST list. I am trying as hard as I can to learn the ropes and I figured I might as well just lay out what I am doing . I have never used any of the Windows Midi tools other than how it works with say a downloaded tone generator.

I am learning how music works , and how to use a DAW at the same time. I play guitar and have a Roland RS 70. I also make Native American Styled flutes. I started learning about the physics of sound to make flutes. As a beginner in many ways at once what I am trying to do is learn a single scale in all the keys. I am mixing a number of tracks of various patches of the same patterned scale of notes and toggling them as far as when the pattern starts and stops to get a layered effect . I hope that makes sense , its just like taking a class full of kids and having them sing a song but in a number of groups one starting after the first sentence of the song is sung by the previous group. I don't know what that is called. I have gone by intuition playing music and now the lack of training is really hurting my progress but that is how it goes. After I have a number of these layered tracks of the same scale and key using different patches I lay it out so the composing fades into and then out of layered complexity and then ends. I realize this is just basic stuff , I simply wanted to give whoever might advise me know where I am at and how it is I am struggling.

I am making these recordings at different tempos as well . So in effect I am creating a library of patterns to be able to methodically learn what complex composition is about using one scale in order to really keep it simple at first . The thing is there is one complexity to all of this at that is I want to do it with quarter steps as well as half steps in tone. So that is where Midi stuff and making simple patterns with virtual keyboards that are set up to play a semi tone if that is indeed the correct term for it. I need notes that are 50 cents sharp or flat in other words. 36 notes instead of only 12 , how wonderful !

I started working with quarter steps when I took on Maqam / Mid eastern tunings for some of the flutes I make. I have learned a few sets of Cantillations for liturgy that uses the standard octaves , but now I am learning cantillations for Maqams in the mid eastern mode so to speak.

Its kind of daunting trying to put all this stuff together at an older age , while still young at heart. Not that I am senior citizen but I am no spring chicken . It is my belief that using bass tones that really vibrate and a whole pallete of notes including the quarter tones alot of healing can happen . All I can say is I am really amazed at how much more complex and focused my guitar playing has become since I started working on this whole recording project. I cant wait to see how a composition with quarter or semi tones sounds and how it affects me .

So that in a nutshell is where I am coming from . Any assistance in being able to navigate a virtual keyboard and how to get those tones I am looking for would be appreciated. I do my best to deal with manuals and playing around with things like Sample Tank which I have yet to get to make even a sound. I have an instrument library file for it on an old version disk that the folks at IK told me to load into the Sample Tank I installed online and have it integrated into Reaper. Is there a place where I can download a file that set the keys of the virtual keyboard to include the semi tones ? I can see why it has taken so long to get into this stuff , it takes all my time and I love it , the payoff is right there once you mix a piece and listen to it. Amazing ! Thanks . PC

Last edited:
What you are describing is known as microtonal scales.

I'm no expert in microtonal tunings, my experience is limited to playing around with analog monosynths and scaling the keyboard with control voltages. There are some MIDI resources available, and it looks like a couple of these programs might do just what you want. I haven't used any of them.

microtonal.org: resources

MIDI-OX is a handy MIDI utility too. I use it to control MIDI I/O in my rig.

http://www.midiox.com/

You might want to ask over in the Reaper Forum about the issues related to getting Sample Tank to play your MIDI files.

What you are describing is known as microtonal scales.

I'm no expert in microtonal tunings, my experience is limited to playing around with analog monosynths and scaling the keyboard with control voltages. There are some MIDI resources available, and it looks like a couple of these programs might do just what you want. I haven't used any of them.

microtonal.org: resources

MIDI-OX is a handy MIDI utility too. I use it to control MIDI I/O in my rig.

http://www.midiox.com/

You might want to ask over in the Reaper Forum about the issues related to getting Sample Tank to play your MIDI files.
Thanks , I just got Sample Tank working so now I can ask about Midis now. I will read the manual a bit first to make sure it simply is layed out there and if I can find it LOL. I will check it out . I am thinking maybe I will ask around on the IK Media forum as well. I can understand the time it might take to mess around constructing framework for notes other than the standard whole and halves . I read about the Bohlen Pierce scale and all . Thing is if I am not mistaken going another division within the octave scale isnt that radical of an adjustment , it's an enhancement of what already has had so much work put into it . Lots of opportunity in it I reckon.

Back