Traveling with A LOT of studio gear. Advice Needed.

rnelson

Hi guys,

In about two weeks I will be taking a flight in which I will take a lot of gear, roughly:

10 mic stands
30+ guitar/mic cables
6 guitar pedals
an 8-preamp ADAT unit
a recording interface
my laptop
12 mics

+ small things such as capos, picks, strings, etc...

My plan was to put the most expensive stuff (pedals, interfaces, mics, laptop and such) in a small suitcase with wheels that I can carry on the plane, and then have the rest of the stuff fit into 1 or 2 oversized bags (proably two because dont want to be charged with overweight fees)

My concerns are these:

Do you think airport security will be a problem with all that electronic metal gear on me? Will they wanna maybe open up my pedals or something?

HAve any of you guys had any experience with theft on checked luggage? Granted these will be low cost items but added up, all cables, mic stands etc, come to about 400-500 bucks.

Those are pretty much my worries. Any recommendations are welcome.

Thanks!

.....I don't fly, cuz airplanes sometimes slam into the ground,....:) but I hear that they're charging for "extra" luggage. Have you considered shipping yer gear via UPS? FedX? Might be better off. Plus, then you can bring extra underwear, booze, and guns on the airplane...

While I always regret not being able to mix booze and guns, shipping isnt an option due to monumental international shipping costs and my lack of funds due to the holidays.

Any other tips or recommendations?

has nobody here ever traveled with gear?

a recount of your experiences would suffice.

Things do get stolen from checked baggage. I know someone that had that happen, and I believe it is not uncommon. He had a watch stolen, but I personally wouldn't put anything valuable and/or necessary in checked baggage. You'll *probably* be fine, but if something is missing or the bag gets sent to the wrong flight you are really screwed.

Beyond that, they may not even allow some things through. I once was given the full security treatment over my metronome. It was small, rectangular and ticked. They checked it out big time, and finally did let me through once they determined it was indeed what it looked like it was. The drummer was not allowed to take a very small wrench on the airplane, which he used to adjust the heads on his bongos. No way it could have been used as a weapon, but they didn't allow it.

Nowadays I don't carry on anything other than my laptop if I can at all help it.

They might not even let the mics on the plane, at least carry-on. I've also heard stories from engineers about having to completely disassemble mics at security before being allowed to pass through. I really don't think your rolling carry-on loaded with goodies is going to work out. At the very least it will be a *major* headache getting through security. Most likely they'll make you check the rolling carry-on anyway.

Most airlines are charging extra for each checked bag these days.

Basically, I would recommend checking *all* your items. Except the laptop.

Also, make sure your checked items are packed super well. Rack gear packed in regular luggage is at risk in my opinion. Those x-ray machines (or whatever they are) are not designed to be gentle with the baggage, they spit it out pretty fast and hard--if they are the same as what I've seen used in the past. Luggage gets shot out airborne and then slams into a metal stop, from there it drops down and is then moved on through the system. The baggage handlers also toss bags around and frequently drop them from height, especially if they are heavy like yours will be.

Again, the only thing I'd take on the airplane itself is the laptop. Pack everything else really super well and take your chances with checking them through baggage if you must. I do think shipping ahead is a good suggestion, but I understand the costs involved.

Also consider picking up things like the mic stands and cables at your destination. Those are standard items that can be found nearly anywhere, and I don't see the point in transporting all those types of things with you.

Last edited:
ive had a lot of experience traveling with equipment, and ive never had a single issue. nothing ever stolen or turned away at security. not to say its not possible, but in the end i think something like a watch would get stolen from checked luggage faster than some obscure audio equipment that most likely means nothing to luggage checkers. if you can, i would suggest only checking the stands, cables, and pedals. when it comes down to going through security, youll most certainly get flagged aside but when you explain and they open it up to inspect, youll almost certainly be fine. just be prepared to wait a few extra minutes while they do their thing.

Back