Traveling Guitar???

Dracon

I've been looking around (I may end-up buying a cheap one from GC), to get an acoustic (nylon) guitar that I wouldn't mind if it got destroyed.

Anyone, has any suggestions on a guitar that can handle a lot of travel?

I'm looking to get a cheap thing ($200-$300).

Probably not what you're looking for, but I have a Martin Backpacker travel guitar that is great for toting around. It is very well-built, but (at least the steel string version) sounds more like a banjo than a guitar due to the small body size. It actually comes in handy for some songs to give the impression of a banjo or mandolin, since I don't own either of those instruments. I think they sell for ~$150-200 and come in steel/nylon/electric-acoustic versions.

If you want a full-sized guitar for travel, Yamaha makes some inexpensive nylon stringers that should do the job for you and are totally disposable. I have one that is about 10yrs old. I've taken it to snowy mountain tops and back, and it still plays o.k. The intonation has gone to shit because the neck is starting to warp but, hey, it was only $130.

Hey Thanks!

All, I've seen is the cheap ones for $99. Actually, now that you mention it, there is a Yamaha for $200 at GC, but there was another brand for the same price which sounded nicer.

Taylor Big Baby

The Taylor Big Baby [but it is a steel string one as well] is nice too, you can even consider this one as a "normal" guitar, but is definitly a lot smaller than the average steelstring. The sound? Good, but bright, well all Talyors have this eh? The Pice? I guess it may be just in your pricerange, but the sound of this one is a lot better that your average "Travel Guitar", as it is one you may also want to pick up after you have finished using your rucksack.

Good Luck

Eddie

I'm going a little different route. I've picked up an old Kent electric at a flea market for $20. I put a few bucks in it - so i'm at around 80. Plus I just bought a Roland Micro cube for $125 (2 watts, 7 pounds) that will easily fit in my suitcase.

My thinking is that the guitar will be the most delicate. So an $80 solid body will be relatively inexpensive loss... but even the chance of something significant happening to a solid body is relatively low as well. Plus I can check the guitar in as regular luggage and not have to carry it on with me.

Wow!
A lot to think about. I thought of perhaps getting a nylon electric guitar (but GC has them more than I'm willing to gamble with), but after you guys with the micro roland, the taylor, and even the yamaha silent.

Is the yamaha silent that one which has nylon strings (a black frame), with pick-up and looks more like an electric? I think I saw that one at GC (I really liked the sound going through the amp as I played it). However that was $499 (a lot of money for something that might get crushed in shipping), but I thought it might be able to stand up to the abuse better than a regular acoustic.

Dracon said:
Wow!
A lot to think about. I thought of perhaps getting a nylon electric guitar (but GC has them more than I'm willing to gamble with), but after you guys with the micro roland, the taylor, and even the yamaha silent.

Is the yamaha silent that one which has nylon strings (a black frame), with pick-up and looks more like an electric? I think I saw that one at GC (I really liked the sound going through the amp as I played it). However that was $499 (a lot of money for something that might get crushed in shipping), but I thought it might be able to stand up to the abuse better than a regular acoustic.

Check out the picture in my post - the frame you see comes apart for stowing in the gig bag.

Phyl said:
Check out the picture in my post - the frame you see comes apart for stowing in the gig bag.
Hey Phyl - I did thanks!

Yeah, I had played around with that guitar at GC, and it sounds kinda nice. I'll look for the micro Roland and see what the size in that is.

I've got an Aria Sinsonido. Got the classical model with wide fretboard, but it comes with narrow neck and steel strings too. Got it for a vacation in Europe last summer and it was great. The shoulder bag is inconspicuous and went with me on the planes no problems. Sounds good, and quiet, just playing acoustically - good for late night hotel room prac. Has headphone jack that doubles as a stereo (or mono) out to an amp. Didn't like the headphone sound direct, but it's fantastic going though a Zoom 504 which is cheap and small. Discovered later that it's excellent also going through my SWR amp, with the Zoom box or without.

Tim

Back