travel guitar quandry...

Angermeyer

Whenever I travel I wish i could bring a guitar with me easily. I mostly travel to south america where it is a bitch to carry around a full guitar in case not to mention dangerous in some of the places I go.

My question is what kind of guitar would be good for travel. Here are my stipulations,

-lightish
-smallish
-acoustic (and electric would be nice)
-cheap:rolleyes:
-not a piece of fecal ass shit

Also, and very important, be able to unbolt neck for condensed travel. I know this will make retuning a nightmare, but i'll cope.

The best thing i can come up with is a danny convertible, though they can be hard to find used (read: I am poor).

Anybody have suggestions for other guitars tha may fit the bill or suggestions?

Thanks
-Angermeyer

Yamaha used to have a GREAT travel guitar, but unfortunately, they discontinued them.

Anyway, there are three choices in the "cheap" price range, and here they are...
http://www.musiciansparadise.com/Guitars/travel_guitars.htm

I highly suggest the Washburn Joey @ only $140.

The Martin Backpacker is a total piece of crap, IMHO.
It plays like crap, sounds like crap, and you can't play it sitting down, due to it's funky shape.

The same goes for the Montana... it's junk.

The Martin has a 1 year "limited" warranty.

The Joey has a Lifetime Warranty... and it's $33 cheaper.

The site I posted has the Oscar Scmidt version of the Joey.
If you do a search, you can find the Washburn version, which has Grover tuners and includes a custom-sized gig bag for about $30 more.
That's the same price as the Martin!

How about considering a mandolin? They're great for carry on. Also I read somewhere that Gibson is starting to make octave guitars about the size of mandolins.

Gibson = Big $$$

This guy said "cheap" because he's "poor."

Geez... he wants it to dis-assemble, too?

Sing along with me, buddy......

To dream the impossible dream,
To find the unfindable axe
It would be better off trying to borrow
To reach the unreachable guitar!

As they say in China... Good Ruck! :D

That's no guitar, that's art.:eek:

My problem buck is that i can't take a long guitar on a plane and that im a bitch so I won't settle for anything else.:D

Mabye i'll build a guitar with a hindged neck, For get the wammy bar. Thanks for all the ideas though.

-Angermeyer

Travel Guitar

Hello. If you're willing to save up a little bit and pay for something better, I recommend the baby Taylor series guitars. I bring mine wherever I go. I'm going overseas in a couple of months and I'll bring with me. I recommend buying a used one when they came with hardshell cases. Good luck.

Check out the Ibanez Day Tripper 3/4 dreadnought. About $200 with no pickup, and $240 cutaway with transducer. No hard shell case available, but can fit (barely) into a gig bag for a solid body, or a classical case with a towel in the bottom. For traveling, I usually use a cheap solid body and a Korg PXR-4, but the Ibanez is nice for singing 'round the campfire. This is the smallest acoustic I've seen that doesn't totally suck. Does anybody know if they make a hard shell case for the baby Taylor? I wonder if my Day Tripper would go into it...-Richie

The VAGABOND. One of my favorite artists (Jill Sobule) has been playing them forever. I've never seen one, but they have to be better than the Martin Backpackers, you know?

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

HarvardShark said:
Hello. If you're willing to save up a little bit and pay for something better, I recommend the baby Taylor series guitars. I bring mine wherever I go. I'm going overseas in a couple of months and I'll bring with me. I recommend buying a used one when they came with hardshell cases. Good luck.
I second the Baby Taylor. I bought one about 2 months ago ($259) while touring around the Atlantic and Gulf coasts of Florida. I tried the Little Martin, but it sounded really muddy by comparison. Also tried the Martin Backpacker -- yuck!!!). Tried a Yamaha -- didn't like it. I've read that the Larrivée Parlor is perhaps the best, but is quite pricey. These small bodied guitars fit in overhead compartments of planes, no problem, so I don't understand why you feel the need to be able to remove the neck. The Taylor has a bolt-on neck with the bolts visible on the fretboard, but again, I don't think it's a good idea to remove it.

Back