Transitioning from computer-based recording to stand-alone multi-track -- need advice

Josh83

Hello,

For various reasons, I have decided to move from my very novice PC-based recoding (Cool Edit Pro 2.0), to a stand-alone unit. First, with graduate school, etc. it is very difficult to keep my hard drive clear for recording, etc.

Also, I want a recorder that has the aesthetics I feel I have missed out on. IE: faders, three band eq, etc.

I know my desire for EQ knobs, etc. rules out many of the digital recorders, however I have considered the following (some analog, some digital). I want to try to buy something on Ebay for 350 or under, if possible.

Here are the units I have considered:

Yamaha MD8
Tascam 564
Tascam 246
Tascam 488 MkII

Also, are there any affordable 4 or 8 tracks that use 1/4" tape? Any other machines I should consider (of any format).

Anyhow, which of the above units would you experienced users recommend? How should I factor in the cost of the media needed, sound quality, the ability to mixdown to a WAV on a PC and retain quality, etc...

Thanks,
Josh

PS: Sorry if you saw this post in the newbie forum, just wanted to get some advice from this forum, too.

Eh,...

Yamaha MD8
Tascam 564
Tascam 246
Tascam 488 MkII

All the above are topline units in their class, with 3 being genuine Portastudios, and 1 being a porta-format recorder. Each one of these units has unique features and advantages. I'd approve of getting each one. Wait,... I already have each one. ;)

The other question, 1/4" reel 4 & 8-tracks, the choices are many:
Tascam 22-4
Fostex A4
Fostex A8
Fostex A8LR
Fostex Model 80
Fostex R8
Tascam 388
All of these units would require an external mixer, except the 388, which is a true Portastudio format reel-8-track. I'd approve of getting either one of these units. Oh, wait,... I already have these units,... 'cept the 22-4 & A4.;)
If I were to pick one favorite off this 2nd list, it would have to be the 388, which is the ultimate King of Portastudios. The other choices are acceptable, if you're into having separate mixers, of which I have quite a few. /DA

have heard the TASCAM DP01 is getting some attention
from the technophobe- old porta studio- musician types
who want to turn the EQ and PAN with their fingers instead
of a rotary knob or mouse.

16/44.1 and a USB or Fiber Optic to run into a CDR....

or a MAsterlink (dream,dream,dream)

Back