Transients

Neil Ogilvie

Still Learning.......
I was having a think on the way to work today and began considering transients and how they would affect microphones.

For instance, a capacitor/condensor microphone - these are far more detailed than a dynamic microphone. Does anyone have any idea what the capacitance is on a Condensor mic? Also, what is the Inductance on a standard dynamic element?

Using these values I could work out a rough estimation of the transient time on the elements - could be interesting to compare.

Yeah, on my way to work I always walk by transients. They're everywhere. I think transients would affect microphones probably by stealing them and selling them for money/food/beer.

...damned transients.

Don't they usually condense around liquor stores? This would make the liquor store a condenser, but being such does not guarantee better transients, only more of them.

Dynamics move the entire coil, and have much higher mass than a condenser diaphragm. Condenser types have thin diaphragms of 6-micron, down to 3-micron in newer designs, and sub 1-micron in the Stephan Paul designs. This is why one never blows, pops, or exporates into condenser types. Too delicate.

Er....... I think your getting the wrong end of the stick.

Transients (in this application) are the time it takes for the flow of charge to change in a particular electronic circuit.

For Dynamic mic's you would need to measure the Inductance of the coil and for condensor mics the capacitance on the capacitor.

Although the diaphragm size does make a big difference to the sensitivity of the microphone, the transient response of its constituent parts would also play a large part. For instance, something with a large transient time would be very insensitive as small, discreet sounds would take a while to pick up.

I was just wondering if anyone had any idea of these average values. In the thread about modifying the behringer omni mic they also changed a lot of the parts that would contribute toward transient response.

The difference in sensitivity between the two has more to do with the physics of moving a dynamic diaphram with a voice coil attached to it as opposed to moving only the diaphram of a condensor. Since it moves MUCH less mass the condensor can be more sensitive to transient events.

I think Neil is hunting for the inductance value. Inductive circuits have a reactive time associated with them.

Track Rat said:
I think that would be more of a phase issue than a reaction time to transients.

Good point Trackrat - I never looked at it that way.

As for the actual transient response of the mic, I had an idea that compared to the mass of the diaphragms the inductance/capacitance values made little to know difference.

I'll have to do some research into how the transient response works toward effecting the frequency response........

Back