Transferring songs between songs and/or folders

tntkemp

Ok, I've seen short posts hinting toward how this is done...but now I'm looking for the complete and proper answer. I work between two studios that have Cubase vst v5.x, and one Cakewalk Sonar v3.x. There are two big reasons for my question:

1. I want to be able to carry tracks back and forth between cubase studios, and wouldn't mind being able to suck them into Sonar as well...but would prefer, if possible, to keep settings such as levels, effects, and other pluggins...including MIDI info.

2. At the primary studio, the guy has done the same as what a couple of you had mentioned once upon a time: All audio from all songs are in one folder. In Cakewalk products, you would use their Finder tool, which would tell you which tracks go with which song.

We just added a 3rd drive to that machine. It is a much larger drive...we'd like to move some of the songs over to it, for starters.

I, personally, am accustomed to working in Cakewalk products. I'm not overly familiar with Cubase, but even the owners of these two studios don't have the correct answer. In Cakewalk products the answer was to save the songs/tracks as a Bundle file (.bun or .cwb), rather than a Cakewalk Project file (.wrk or .cwp), which only contains pointsers...no WAV or MIDI info. I believe that the .bun and .wrk files would be the equivalent of the .all files in Cubase.

Any help would be appreciated!

Can't anybody answer this question....or is this older version of Cubase VST32 incapable of easy transfer? I have a hard time believing that this version can't simply transfer all tracks as a group from one folder to another or from one computer to another, maintaining all settings...please prove me right!

Thank you in advance!

I am a newbie, but I may be able to answer part of your question.

In order to move a project from one drive to the other, open the project, then go back to the file menu, and choose "save project to new folder". Just choose a folder on the new drive. Works good in cubase sx - can even save a project across a network.

Hope that helps.

Back