transfering a pancake to a reel

Ding Dong

I'm considering making my next purchase of (1/2") tape and was thinking about buying pancakes to save a few bucks- i've got a bunch of sticky tape i could toss and keep the empty reels.
Unfortunately I'm not even sure what a pancake looks like or how i would transfer it to one of the blank reels.

I'm imagining myself sitting crosslegged, holding the pancake upright with a sharpie through the middle while my tape machine spins, slowly sucking up the tape. Is this how it's done? If so, is it worth it?

Attachments

• 7559_1.JPG
    7559_1.JPG
    21.4 KB · Views: 164
...as a fellow pancaker, also it is good to roll the tape over at 'spooling' speed if your machine has that option, just to help minimize the chance that a layer comes loose and starts the confetti game.....

I have found new pancakes to be well-packed on their cores and have had no problems just rolling them over onto a reel.

Now, if you really like things to look 'vintage' you can forego the reel in favor of two half reels with a core each, and literally play/record the pancake in 'open face' form with the machine lying down.
You are now replicating the look of the mid-40es, early 50es taping approach, but while it looks uber-cool, and my machine has a superb transport, my nerves aren't quite good enough to do that for more than taking digital pictures... :eek: :D...in short, reel 'em up.. ;)

Best,
C.

Just unbolt the flanges...

and bolt them on your new pancake!

It's not hard, but BE CAREFUL - one false move and your tape is ON THE GROUND in a heap!!!

Hold the reel with the old tape HORIZONTAL, screws-up and unscrew all 3 bolt and nut pairs. Lift the top flange off, and toss the tape in the trash (or if you want to save it, lay an empty styrofoam tray on top and with one hand on top and one hand under, FLIP THE WHOLE THING OVER. Lift off the 2nd flange.

Unwrap the NEW tape CAREFULLY while still on the styro-tray. Place a flange on top, carefully flip over (again using one hand on each side), remove the styro, lay the 2nd flange on and bolt back together.

TA-DAHHHHH. You're done.

Best... Art

Back