Traditional Bluegrass Mix

This is a favorite Bill Monroe tune that I don't hear done that much by my bluegrass buddies.
No delusions of grandeur, but I think I am fairly happy with it. The bass could be stronger, but I need a real upright player in here rather than me hunting and plucking before I would dare push it up in the mix. I used an EV635a and a Sitler modded Oktava mk012 on all the instruments, and the 635a for vocals.

Cabin of Love

Comments welcome. Thanks for taking a look.

Tracy Latham

Some nice banjo playing :-) In honor of the election year? I think you should call this "Log Cabin of Love" and maybe they could play it at the convention?

Also that mando may could be EQ'ed a little differently, but hey? I'm listening on ear buds, so I can't comment too much on things like that.

That is fantastic.

Yes, I guess the bass lacks definition, but I can still feel it slightly thumping along down there somewhere. Everything else sounds phenomenal to me. Sorry - not much help - just wanted to put in a good word for this one. I really enjoyed it.

great banjo sounds, you're right about the bass coming up some.

but the rest is really nice!

I can't get a banjo to sound decent for anything.

Great track!!! I'd bring the banjo and mandolin in a little bit closer to center, but that's about it for me. Loved the vocals and the playing.

I'm not real familiar with the mixing techniques for this style of music. Playing sounds great. It sounds like the bass is too far in the background. you should be able to bring that up without interfering with any of the picking.

Nice track

Great work! Agreed on the bass. It is genuinely too low. Despite not having an upright, you need to bring it up in the mix. The mix lacks depth and the glue to pull it up and give the energy of the high register a place to move. The banjo and mando are mid heavy by nature and they sound that way here. The mix itself is well arranged, works well in mono. I agree with the other poster that the mando can come closer to center. If you can get those mids right and bring up the bass you will have a great mix. I would consider a bit more low end back on the vocals (if you are cutting the lows at all).

Super great work!~

Much respect and many blessings,

Bonafide

Thanks for the listen, y'all. It's been a crazy week, and I just got a chance to look over the responses. My recording PC just died (what'd I expect?...it was rescued from going into a dumpster :) ) So, I'll try some edits based on the advice here and see what I come up with asap...which may not be that soon.

Best wishes,

Tracy Latham
Lewisburg, TN

Back