Tracks went way out of sync..why?

AL P

Hey y'all.. I was just listening to a recent recording of me ad some friends (yes I know the inputs are WAY low, that was because I knew a friend with a new amp was bound to crank the heck out of it any second, so I left tons of headroom..only recorded to go back and listen to for fun, NOT meant to be any kind of actual decent job etc)..
Anyway, what would cause this? I have changed nothing at all..same computer yada yada..
View attachment reaper track issue.bmp

Last edited by a moderator:
No idea why it posted the same pic 4 times, sorry. anyway, as can be seen, each track went way out of sync, and each shows a divot..no idea what, or why

You need to provide more info on what you did and how...and what your settings were...etc.
The picture of the tracks doesn't explain any of that.

Oh...and the reason you have 4 pics is because you attached the same pic 4 times...hit the edit button on your post and you will see you have 4 attachments.

Not sure why it happened, but those divots show where an audio clip is made to loop, like if you drag the edge of the clip past its end. You "should" be able to drag the edges back to those divots and then line up the beginnings of all the tracks. That is, if that divot represents the same point in time for each track.

Did you change the project tempo? Tracks go out of sync when you increase or decrease the project tempo even if you don't drag them.

Identifying a cause needs more info.

1 Do you know whether this happened during the recording?

2 Do you know whether the playback is a playback of untouched recording? (Like , no user actions between recording, stop, save, and playback?)

3 Was the recording actually over one and a half hours?

SORRY FOR NOT FOLLOWING UP!!!
I HATE it when someone post a question, gets replies, then never post back!! NOT how I usually am!!
again, sorry!
anyway, long story short, I found my CPU fan and heat sink to be totally packed with debri, so I have concluded that most likely, it was just my CPU over heating and acting funky..

But just in case.. Here is some more info..
the recording was roughly 3.5 hours long (non stop, never hit pause etc).. but I did notice that my screen saver kicked on a couple times (I forgot to turn it off)..
and I found the issue after playing back the recording the next day, I did skip through some down time (when we took a break etc), but I can not see anyway that I could have slid multiple tracks out of line..Maybe one by accident? but not several.

I've been getting some of that just lately. Clips are recording significantly out of time--like a whole eight note behind the beat--unlike yours which are ahead. But it is intermittent. Yesterday I was getting it. Today is fine.

This has never happened in three years using Reaper. Hope it's not a problem we an update--well, actually that would be fine as they will fix it rather than me.

Meanwhile I just drag the clips into position. No big deal. As long as the error is consistent throughout a take, which it seems to be.

Back