tracks from 2 demos i did this week...

nice....

acoustic....back off on the backing vox and add some verb. And the guitar could be more up front....IMO....

punk....well...it's punk...so it's good....very live feeling as I'm suew was intended. Drums dissapear though...guitar is kinda far away....but it's punk...so f it.. :D

:cool:

Can't ask for a much better acoustic track than that.... It's super clean and clear and well balanced. I like the room but I know some would want it closer/drier.....

I think the intro backups could use some more doubling - left side seems to dominate....

The build up at the end on the backups is cool.

I found the last few phrases out of sync with the previous parts somehow - maybe the panning was what did it.....

Would appreciate any mixing info you can share on this......

:cool:

the mix on the acoustic track was pretty basic...the guitar was tracked with a 4033 on the body and sm-81 on the fingerboard, each somewhere between 12-14" back in a spaced pair. the vocals were done with the 4033 as well - we tried my NT-2A, but the extra "airiness" of the AT suited the track better

the backup vox were kept pretty simple - 2 takes of each part, each panned roughly 60% L/R with a tab of reverb. also a tad of reverb on the lead vocal, but not enough to really hear it. the spots where the backup vox were out of sync were from her singing it out of sync...i did the job on the super-cheap, and the client was ok with it, so it got left that way.

the punk song had a D6 on the kick, i5 on the snare, and NT5's for the OH's...both guitars were 4x12's close mic'ed with a 57, bass DI'd, vocals were through a 57 as well.

again, the mix was kept pretty basic - guitars panned hard L/R, kick/snare/bass/vox all in the middle...compression on the drums and bass, eq on the snare and kick, even though all the EQ in the world wouldn't bring out the attack in the kick - there was no hole in the front, and being a live demo there wasn't time to take the front head off. i also used some master buss compression pegged at around 2db reduction to help glue it all together.

...last but not least(depending who you ask i suppose), all of it was tracked through my onyx 1640

Ironklad Audio said:
the mix on the acoustic track was pretty basic...the guitar was tracked with a 4033 on the body and sm-81 on the fingerboard, each somewhere between 12-14" back in a spaced pair. the vocals were done with the 4033 as well - we tried my NT-2A, but the extra "airiness" of the AT suited the track better

the backup vox were kept pretty simple - 2 takes of each part, each panned roughly 60% L/R with a tab of reverb. also a tad of reverb on the lead vocal, but not enough to really hear it. the spots where the backup vox were out of sync were from her singing it out of sync...i did the job on the super-cheap, and the client was ok with it, so it got left that way.

the punk song had a D6 on the kick, i5 on the snare, and NT5's for the OH's...both guitars were 4x12's close mic'ed with a 57, bass DI'd, vocals were through a 57 as well.

again, the mix was kept pretty basic - guitars panned hard L/R, kick/snare/bass/vox all in the middle...compression on the drums and bass, eq on the snare and kick, even though all the EQ in the world wouldn't bring out the attack in the kick - there was no hole in the front, and being a live demo there wasn't time to take the front head off. i also used some master buss compression pegged at around 2db reduction to help glue it all together.

...last but not least(depending who you ask i suppose), all of it was tracked through my onyx 1640
Excellent detail Ironklad - thanks! :D :cool: :D :cool:

Damn.... I am going to use this as a benchmark for my recordings..... If I can get this kind of quality, I will be a happy guy.

hmmm...

correct me if i'm wrong...or just have a preference, but i listened to someone's track "acoustic perfection" or something a week or so ago. i wasn't really impressed but people liked it. this one sounds not that great either, and someone commented on it being crisp and clear and perfect. its ok...i don't really hear the stereo image too much. maybe i'm deaf.

this sorta concerns me...because i make acoustic songs all the time. i've heard my recordings on a different systems..and they sound pretty much what i'd expect them to sound like.

the punk song was ok, and i know its punk so it doesn't really need to be pure...but i though it sounded sorta muddy in the bass. the kick and bass sorta smoosh together. a slight separation would work. i'm not saying it needs to be changed...but if it did, it would really help the track and would still stay punk. like...the vocals. basically perfect for punk. the guitars are almost too good for punk. well done there.

Back