Tracking, Pre-amps, my oh my!

Sporkmyband

Hello all,
I have a question about tracking (obviously). I just finished my first track start to master. There is room for improvement, but I am very very happy with the end result. My situation is that I used my Vintech x73i (my only high end pre) to track everything with the exception of the drum OH. There are at some times as many as 10 vocal tracks, 2 electric guitar tracks, 2 acoustic tracks, 5 drum tracks, a L and R track of synths and drum loops from Reason, and a bass guitar track (even that was D.I.'ed through the x73i instrument input). I know I should trust my ears, and I do 70%, but I like to ask you guys that have experience. Is this wrong? Part of my self-education in recording has taught me that different pre's are important for different spaces in the mix kinda like the same reason you shouldn't track EVERYTHING through the same mic because many mics have a little added eq of there own that can build up over lots of tracks. I did use different impedance setting on the pre. That causes a pretty big diffence in tone. Is this okay? However, I have learned from Dan Richards that great pres yield tracks that are big but don't crowd the stereo field like mushy crappy pres. Is what I am doing okay? Is it like recording all of my tracks through a 24 track neve (clone) board.

Spork, there's no hard / fast rules for this stuff. Just some basic guidelines. Use your best judgement. Changing up the mics is a good idea for the reasons you mention. Using the best equipment, period, that you can get your hands on is always a good idea, as well. And not just with the mic pres.

Now when I say this stuff is a "good idea," I mean that strictly in the sense that ... well ... good gear is always better than crappy gear. Very generally speaking, mind you.

But ... if you're really serious about each track jiving in the context of the mix, then work with the tone going on in the room ... at the source. Worry more about what's in front of the mic, and less about what lies beyond the other end of the mic cable. A dull sounding room with nulls and standing waves will build up a lot more muck than a cheap mic pre ever will. Experiment with different guitar and bass tones ... experiment with different rooms and mic'ing techniques. There's a whole world of things to explore in front of the mic, Spork.

Thanks Chess

Cool...
Thanks Chess. How did you get to be so super cool? Who knows. I have TOTALLY been listening to you. You began speaking to me about the diffences in the room and I have really began to explore that much more. It is amazing...particularly with vocal tracking. It is NUTS how much the location matters. I moved my microphone (KSM32...best damn 300 bucks ever spent) literally about 18" over on the floor, and the vocal sound got 50% better. NUTS! But I will say, I couldn't hear the mic in such detail until I got the Vintech. Just singing through it inspires me so much more than the Motu pres. I can hear EVERYTHING. But hey, if you think using the same pre over and over is okay....GOOD.

Sporkmyband said:
But hey, if you think using the same pre over and over is okay....GOOD.

I don't think it would be a bad idea to change things up a little. Particularly, it might be nice to have a few cleaner; more transparent options available for certain things. But only if it makes sense for you right now, ergonomically and economically. It's just that I wouldn't lose a bunch of sleep over it just yet.

Its nice to have different gear for different appilcations..However alot of great records and CD's have been cut with board pres only and no stand alones so "variety" was limited to the board..granted it was a most likely a API or Neve or SSL etc. etc. Your Vintech{Neve cloneish} is a good peice of gear you should be able to do very good work with it! Use your ears,trust your intuitsion{sp?} and learn you space like Chessrock says..good luck

Its only been since the serious invasion of digital that the EXTERNAL preamp was even much of a entity. Yeah, theres been 'several' okay sounding records made with one variety of mic pre.
So explore that space.Enter that portal.Go to Spaceland.Enjoy.

IMHO, part of the reasons we are losing touch with actual engineering skills,is due to the 'magic box' theory of recording."Hey,dont move the mic or change it out for a different sound, buy a different box......"errr sumthin....

"Last time i checked, we dont have many songs thats feature the cow bell" :cool:

Attachments

• cowbell2.jpg
    cowbell2.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 81
Back