Tracking Acoustic Guitar

dvs recordings

Is it better to track and acoustic guitar with 2 of the same condenser mics in stereo x/y or a more expensive tube capacitor mic upright in mono tracked twice panned left and right? If I'm not making any sense go easy on me..... Ah hell... let her rip and tear a strip off me... if it's lets the truth be known.

i agree with kristian...

try different positions, each has it's benefits and problems...

here's usually the order i try:

Mid-Side...i just seem to like this technique. but it doesn't always fit the bill

Straight front about 6-12 inches down the neck and 18 inches out pointed at the sound hole or there abouts. i may use three or four different mic types at the same time all real close to each other and select the best or mix, but watch out for phasing issues, but phasing problems may work to your benefit.

X-Y is good. also i may EQ each side a bit differently or i may use a LD and SD mic. it just depends on what i'm after.

double tracking is the last i do unless i know this is what i want to begin with.

Kristian is unfortunatly right. There are tons of variables like the guitar itself, the humidity at the time you're recording, the room acoustics, the context of the guitar in a particular song. All of these dictate the mic choise and how you put them around the guitar you want to record. IMHO, if it's going into a busy mix, I go mono, a more sparse arrangement, I like stereo mic'ing. I know you wanted a more definative answer but......

Hey Track Rat thanks for the tip on miking in stereo for the not so busy tunes as opposed to using mono for the more active ones. I will definitely try that. A few friends at work said the same as Kristian as there are many different methods to use so just "experiment". Something maybe some Newbies have trouble with (me being one of them). I just wanted to add that I read a long informative post reply thread by Ed on the subject of "EQ" where he was giving a message. In that reply he stated that "many Newbies want to learn everything so fast and are impatient".So True!We all want to see results right away. Experiment. Hmm... wonder if I can adapt.. I blabbering on. Sorry folks. Hey Sonixx thanks for the input...and Gidge thanks for the infomative link.

Dave

Back