tracking a band then.

Br3n

so when i start tracking i do standard things like drums first poss bass or rythme guitar next then either bass or guitar depends who did what first then lead then vocals.

trouble i have with this is i get a lot of editing to do drum.

so i now try to track guitar first to a click or quick drum loops that are close to the actual beat then do drums, bass, lead guitar, vox

i am finding that i am getting much more natural drum tracks.

just wandered what other people do or any thoughts on that idea?

Whatever works for you really.

You might want to consider recording what's called a "scratch" track on guitar. This gives the drummer something to follow so that he can just concentrate on playing rather than having to sing the song in his head. Then, after the drums are done, you can go back and re-record the guitar and erase the scratch track. This is just one of many ways.

What he said...

I usually try to record drums, bass, guitar, and vocals simultaneously from the start. Drums and bass are the keeper tracks. Guitar and vocals are scratch (or throw-away) tracks. Bass and guitar must be plugged in direct to prevent bleed into the drum mics. Vocals are far enough away from the drums to not be heard much if any.

Everyone hears all instruments in their headphones, but I end up with isolated drum and bass tracks. The guitar and vocals get re-tracked later on their own, as are any other instruments or backups.

yeah for years now i have been doing it this way. drums bass guitars then vox but recently i tried with my band sitting with the drummer to program some rough drum tracks then having the guitars record to that to get perfect timing from them then go back to the drummer so when he tracks we can hear timing issues straight from the word go. then retrack drums until they are right. i seem to be getting better results this way.

Back