Tracked on an SSL

sounds very good. the vox are maybe a bit middy. guitars sound great, the mix is very well done. what kind of mics did you use?

sounds very good. the vox are maybe a bit middy. guitars sound great, the mix is very well done. what kind of mics did you use?

hmm lets see.

On drums I used an Audix D6 and an RE 20 on the kick. On the snare I had a 57 on top and a sennheiser 441 on bottom. toms were sennheiser e604's. hi hat was a akg 451. overheads were rode nt-5's and the room mics were an at4050 and a neumann tlm193. on the electrics i used a 57 on one and a akg 414 on the other. acoustics were also the 414. on the vocals i used the tlm193. he has a very warm voice that can easily sound muddy, especially when he gets close to the mic. i think that covers it all

hmm lets see.

On drums I used an Audix D6 and an RE 20 on the kick. On the snare I had a 57 on top and a sennheiser 441 on bottom. toms were sennheiser e604's. hi hat was a akg 451. overheads were rode nt-5's and the room mics were an at4050 and a neumann tlm193. on the electrics i used a 57 on one and a akg 414 on the other. acoustics were also the 414. on the vocals i used the tlm193. he has a very warm voice that can easily sound muddy, especially when he gets close to the mic. i think that covers it all

not muddy, i mean middy. like it sounds a little too strong in the mids. but it really cuts well, sounds good without being too loud.

but yeah the whole thing sounds very well tracked. nice clean mix, everything stacks up nicely.

Sounds good to me.
icon14.gif

Did you do any kind of EQ on the acoustics? If so, what'd you do? I've been trying to get a similar sound for denser mixes with more instruments, but it always sounds weak/EQ'd. Just curious what you did there.

The acoustics were recorded that way, I used the 414 on them. They don't sound that great when soloed, but they fit in with dense mixes like you said. They were pretty thin, I even added a couple dB around 240 I think. I tried to make one sound a little different than the other with some EQ, but I don't remember exactly what I did off the top of my head

Back