Track Volume?

Burnt321

Just Me
Hey this is my first post (I think?!). I've been looking at these boards for a while and get most of my answers by just reading, but I had a quick question. My finished tracks just aren't loud enough, compared to commercial cds. After my mix (which I try to make as loud as possible) I put the track into wavelab for mastering. I used the Ultramaximizer, but it only brings the volume up a little before it starts clipping and crackling. Are there any tricks to bring up the volume? What db should I be aiming for? I use flstudio 5 for mixing and wavelab for mastering.

Last edited:
There is really only one thing I can tell you....read more....

On that note...I see loudness made up of three distinct things.....and they happen to be in this order....

1. Perception - This is all done in the tracking.....Many of times players think they have to play hard to be loud (i.e. drummers)....

2. Mixing - A good portion of the grunt work is done hear....

3. Mastering - What 1 and 2 missed on the ME can hopefully hit on....

I can also tell ou that they way you are going about it is WRONG WRONG WRONG.....

Yo fire-hazard:

I'm not familiar with your rig; however, it should work in a similar fashion to my 2816 and/or have similar tool/tweaks.

First, if you can raise the "stereo" track input volume when you are doing the stereo track, try that. Of course that will boost the entire number of tracks you have done.

Also, with my 2816, I can switch on the dynamics/compressor patch and boost any single track: voice, horn, drums [usually not necessary to mess much with drums] etc.

I run my drum box via an ART mic pre. Sometimes, I run the synth through a mic pre but not always. I guess I like the drums to stand out a bit more.

Getting too loud can, of course, spoil a good take. But, your ears will tell you what you like.

Hope this helps you out.

Green Hornet
Happy New Year :D

Welcome to the boards...

First let me say, this subject has been covered repeatedly. Give the search function a try. We get a lot of newbs wanting to increase the levels on their songs for the sake of being as loud as commercial CD's. Many here will tell you to don't screw up a perfectly good recording and send it to a Mastering House. (See Massive Mastering).

Just to scratch the surface, most amatuers don't have the know how or experience let alone the waaayyy expensive gear to get the levels up without the problems you're experiencing. Bottom line, it's not easy to do and best left to the pro's. Even the pro mastering folks will tell you that they just cringe when they get this request. Most people would agree that leaving room in the recording for dynamics is still a good thing even though the big labels are going for max volume and minimum head room.

If the tracks are nice and clean and you've got a reasonably quiet mix. I would suggest you send it out for the final clean up. Not saying don't give it a try but you're in for a wild ride.

Just the "broken record" response - Keep in mind that the recordings you're comparing to probably have budgets in the hundreds of thousands of dollars *just for labor* and are done by teams of professionals with decades of experience and millions of dollars in gear and accomodations -

Just for tracking.

Then basically the same for mixing, and then the "way-too-loud" of a lot modern mastering (I admit that I'm as guilty as the next guy if the client orders it).

I'm not trying to discourage - But I am trying to induce a "touch of reality" into the situation. I'm also not suggesting that the aforementioned is all absolutely necessary in the creation of a "loud" production master - But it certainly doesn't hurt. And there is NO substitute for core sounds that lend themselves to being loud in the end. Planning and pre-production is king (see my sig below).

There isn't a magic plugin, there isn't a magic piece of gear of software - In the end, there is only experience along with getting the highest quality sounds possible and the gear to *keep them* that way.

heythanks for the ground trip, lol. Being relatively new to mastering ( I have done mixes before, though not enough for any hardcore experience) I appreciate any info I can get. I understand I am not going to get the perfect sounding results I want with the low level equipment I have, but I just want to make it sound the best I can. I will fiddle with it some more and eventually post it up here for your opinions. Thanks...

Back