Track update! Please lend me your critical ears :-)

bendbones

Hi all, this is an update from a thread I posted about a month ago:

https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=251945&highlight=listen+carefully

Anyway, since then a mate from Canada I met on another forum (a guy called Dusty Hughes), put down some vocals...Here is a rough mix I just did this morning:

My monitors are fairly budget (m-audio bx5s) and I'm not sure how close to the mark I am - didn't have any particularly decent reference material to hand either.

Cheers all,
Ben.

I really like the writng and arrangement on this - it spans several "flavors" throughout the song.

Did Dusty write the lyrics/melody to this? Or did he just "redo" the vocals. In any case they rock! He's got a great voice.

The mix sounds great - just a couple of things came to mind while listening (just MHO/preference on it so take it with a large grain of salt... :) )
1) The vocals seem a little treble-y. I rolled down a few db's around 4K and it smoothed them out a bit.
2) The real heavy guitar sounds a bit loud when it comes in. It's nicely dynamic, just a bit jarring.

Again, this is a great song, great performances and great mix....

:D:):D:)

Thanks for your comments, yeah he did write the lyrics and build the vocal melody. I really think his vocal makes the track - am well pleased with it - he truly is an awesome vocalist. I also plan to extend the outro chorus with a guitar solo of some sorts nearing the very end and possibly adding the very-beginning-of-the-song riff bit right onto the end....

Anyway, I'm going to be away until 9th December (holiday with gf) so can't (unfortunately) do any more work on it until I get back...Perhaps thats not a bad thing though - fresh ears etc.

Cheers,
Ben.

Back