Track sheets

Prism

I visited a studio once, and we used track sheets. I know what they're for, but can anyone tell me generally how it's laid out and what information I should print? I would like to make some track sheets for future recording.
It's nice to keep records of stuff like that.

Thanks!

Isaiah

- Artist,
- Song title
- Tape number (if applicable)
- Session details (date, tech notes)
- Generous space for track descriptions/notes (8/16/24/48 tracks)

Doesn't need to be fancy, just whatever way is best for you organize your tracks and remember what was recorded where/when.

Bruce

You can go to the "Download" section of alesis.com and download a single ADAT track sheet, or download "Track Manager" which is software to keep track of everything on computer.

Thanks guys...
Software might be handy, but I just want something I can just print out and scribble on. (I don't always have the convenience of having my computer around when I'm recording...hence the term, "portastudio" :))

Isaiah

Dont forget about EQ, comp/gate, pan, and effects settings for each track (I suppose that's what Bruce meant by tech notes). Also, song start and end times are great for when you don't have time to rewind/ff to find the tune you want to mix.

Yes, you could save all those settings, but you know - I just don't anymore. It's just my own style of working - and it won't work for everyone - but I like starting from a zero'd board everytime I sit down for a mix or re-mix.

If it's recorded right, there are only tweaks that you need to do (which you should easily be able to listen and reset!) and for effects, unless it was something specific or specialized, reverbs and the like are recoverable simply by listening. If it's a remix, and you come up with what you did before, with that consistency you can measure that you're on the right track - OR - you come up with something completely different sounding that works as well - kinda keeps the creativity exercised, at least for me!

Bruce

I don't record any effects until it's time to mix down to 2 tracks for the final master. :)

Isaiah

Prism said:
I don't record any effects until it's time to mix down to 2 tracks for the final master. :)

Isaiah
Well yeah, of course!
I'm not talking about recording effects at all - I AM talking about mixdown!!!

Bruce

Thanks again, fellas..
I guess what I meant is, since effects and EQ are often kinda ad-libbed on the master mixdown, I don't bother making a note of it. (in reponse to flatrock's answer..)
After all, one day I might dig out the original tapes and I'll probably wanna just play with the settings like I always do...although EQ is probably more important than effects. But who knows.. I'll play it by ear. :D

Isaiah

Back