Track Separation to the PC

incursio

Hi gang - the excitement looms as I wait for the big brown UPS truck to bring me my new S/PDIF I/O card ... :) More questions from someone eager to learn it all ...

Let's say I have a bunch of tracks on my DAW, all ready to roll. I
want to dump them over to the PC for cleanup using Pro-Tools,
SoundForge, or other such tool.

Now, the easy thing to do would be to mix everything down on the DAW, then just feed the stereo mix via S/PDIF to the PC, clean the 2 track mix up, and burn to CD.

What if, however, I wanted to dump a track at a time, and use various effects and cleanup on each individual track. I would have to route each track to the PC individually - how does one keep these tracks in sync when moving them individually to the PC?

Thanks in advance!

You have answered your own question.By moving them individually to the PC,obvious they are NOT in sync but rather a collection of indivual wave files (albeit transferred almost noiselessly via S/PDIF).However,no big deal!
Almost any multitrack software (I use N-Track Studio) has a feature called "offset" or something similar ,which lets you slide a track around in time (with sample level precision) to allign with other tracks.
I would do it that way rather then send a stereo .wav because you will then retain the ability to individually process each track without muddying the mix.

Tom

The way to transfer your tracks from your DAW to your computer would be to sync them.

You would purchase a MIDI cable.

Go MIDI OUT of your program/computer into the MIDI IN of your DAW.

Therefore ProTools beomes the MASTER DEVICE and your DAW becomes the SLAVE DEVICE.

ProTools will tell your DAW when to start playing and when to stop playing (and all of your tracks will line up perfectly). :)

You will probably use either MIDI TIME CODE or MIDI CLOCK to connect (sync) the two devices.

Here is some more reading for you... :D

http://www.studiocovers.com/articles.htm

peace...

spin

Back