Track Rat, could I get your expertise?

Cyrokk

Farce of Nature
I searched the sight and found that you have worked with both the Gina card and the MOTU.

I've been doing research for months trying to figure out how I'm going to accomplish what I want. I have an ADAT which I do all my recording on. I want to use the lightpipe into the pc and have the option for recording additional tracks. I also want to mixdown through my old Studiomaster mixer (perhaps mixing down to my Tascam DAT machine. I haven't figured that part out yet). It's just me recording, so it looks like my needs would be best met with the Gina 24 or MOTU 2408, since it seems a 2 in/ 8 out card with lightpipe would suit me best. So here are my questions:

Is any of the price difference between the Gina and MOTU due to D/A sound quality? If so, do you think it would be neglible for a guy who has not so golden ears? Or is the price difference due mainly to the input capacity, interface options, and all the other bells and whistles that I could do without?

What if, in addition to the 8 tracks sent via lightpipe, I record five or six other tracks. When I want to mix down, I could just assign multiple tracks to the outputs, right?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Cy

Sound wise, the Gina and the MOTU converters are both pretty damn good. I would have to give the MOTU the edge only because of the external wordclock input that allows for a higher quality clock. Without an external clock, I think you'd be hard pressed to hear a difference.
Now the Gina I have is an older 20 bit model, not the 24 and it didn't have any ADAT capability (but did have S/PDIF on coax). If you only have one ADAT, there might be some less expensive alternatives than the MOTU.
Here's a few questions. How do you want to mix? Through a console or in the computer with software?

I want to mix through the console, using the pc pretty much just for extra track capacity and to burn the pre-mastered mix to CD. I have basic outboards effects, so plug-ins are not a priority right now. However, I would like to work with a spectral analyzer and Wavelab before the music goes to CD.

Also, I don't have a pc yet, but plan on getting one customized in a couple months (leaning towards the AMD route), so I'm open as far as getting the right computer hardware together.

Thanks!

Cy

Back