track is faded grey or shaded

tsqair

3 of the tracks on my recording are shaded ,i can not edit the wave forms at all,any idea's what this means? thanx

Either the wave forms are muted or the tracks themselves are disabled.

If you can assign inputs and outputs to the tracks, then the waveforms are muted.
Select them and hit control-m or apple-m.

If you can't, then right click on the track name and set it to active.

How many tracks have you got? You may have exceeded the track limit.

Agree with Steenamaroo.

Pro Tools can come with limitations if using M-Powered etc. If you've exceeded the track count for the version of PT you are running, you can always buss those tracks and bounce them down to, two channels to free up voices.

did all that

i bounced 24 vocal tracks down to 2 tracks, also stenamaro tracks are active and not muted...a point of interest, when i use the grabber the figure turned into a hand with a thumbs up sign in stead of the ussual hand figure, i ended up deleting the track............it would be nice to know why that accured though, i'm using a macbook pro (maxed out and i just bouught the duet 2

I'm not suggesting the track is muted; I'm suggesting that the region is muted.

If you have a track with a load of different regions on it, you can individually mute regions by selecting one and hitting apple-m.
If you do this, they go grey.

The reason I'm suggesting this is I used to do it all the time by mistake.
As you may know, Apple-m is usually the shortcut to minimise a window.

What version of Pro tools are you using?

9 hd.............oh I never thought of that ,well thanx i will remember that,as i said I deleted the track so I cannot go back at this ppoint and check, but thanx alot for the responses youve already helprd me several times

technically if you open one of your backups that protools auto creates then you can pull it up just to see what was wrong with it....depending on how far back your backup auto saves before rewriting.

Yeh that's true.
Backup sessions should be stored in your session directory.

If not, record something then select the region and hit apple-m, just to see if it causes the same problem.

At least then you'd know.

Let us know how you go. :)

Back