Tough Thrash metal mix (it's not terrible, i promise)

FadeToMuffins

Hey guys, let me know what you think of this mix! It is for a song that will be on my band's album. I played the left rhythm guitars, did the vox, and the last little lead part over the last chorus.

Drums are real, with toms/kick replaced and the snare is blended with another sample. Cymbals are real. Guitars were reamped with my 6505+ into a custom cab with Avatar V30 speakers, two 57's. Bass was DI. The whole thing was mixed in Reaper with Waves plugins.

http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?id=27350

Thanks for listening, I appreciate it guys.

In the intro, the palm-muted guitars on the right could probably come up, at least when they're the only part playing.

Sounds good.

I must say that with such a brutal, frontal, aural assault, it was quite pleasant to listen to :D. Nothing really poked me in the ear, so that's good. The guitar tones were great, nice chunk, without the razor blades that many fall into. The lead shredding my freakin' face off :eek::eek::eek:!! Me likey. It was all well placed, very good FTM :D. My only nit, which might just be a preference/or genre thing, is that the overall drum 'clickettyness' tended to be a little fatiguing after awhile. I definitely like the tune/mix overall, good luck on the album.

:cool:;):):D
Brad

i didnt like the mix...loads of fizz

it sounded like a really harsh white zombie

not that the performance seemed bad but...shit the listening was really harsh

im surprised im listening to the same mix as others :(

im surprised im listening to the same mix as others :(

Tsk, tsk, Keith....don't you know we metal-heads are half-deaf?? :laughings::spank:

Nice shredding here, singing fits very well too. Sounds pretty good for a home recording.

The last mix is a definite improvement over the other two. There is a bit if fizz going on like Kc said, though I don't think it is that bad. Metal is supposed to be a tad brittle in the highs anyway though a cut in the 8khz range may help. The composition is really good and reminiscent of Kreator.

I'd agree with a bit less HF, predominately on the hi-hat.
When the first guitar changes rhythm (about 12sec in) I'd be tempted to have the tone change a bit to. Possibly push in a little more high end just to accentuate the change. Might not work, but I think I'd try it.

I'm not a metal-head, but I enjoy it every now and then. From the get go, I immediately thought there was too much reverb on the guitars. I want this stuff to melt my face off, and the guitars sounded a little too "pretty-fied" by the reverb. Drums sound pretty good. If it were me mixing, I'd bring the bass up by like 4 dB. Bass really needs to come up. Vocals are very, very intelligible, and prominent. You could get away with getting the guitars to punch more without affecting the vocals.

Overall, really well done. Gotta say - I love your drummer's use of the toms. Going down, and then coming back up (and in some cases, back down and up again...) Great rhythmic creativity. Good stuff.

Meh, this is pretty bad. If I were the bassist I'd kick your ass then quit the band for not including me in the mix. :mad: ;)

This is a typical guitars-too-loud metal home-recording. The drums sound tiny, dude. Make em bigger. Not only louder, but bigger. They seem to only occupy a small slice of the pie in the middle. Something this aggressive should be blowing me out of my chair, but I'm just sitting here going ho-hum. The guitar tones aren't terrible for the style, but they're not great either. They're pretty fizzy.

Back