Totally new to all this...

Pig Destroyer

Hi there, I'm totally new to home recording, as in completely clueless heh. I currently have a P4 2.4 Ghz machine with 512MB DDR RAM, 80 gig HD and a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz DSP Sound Card.

What I am curious is what I need to get started, I've got some advice, such as get an Input Interface, some software of some kind(Cubase, Pro Tools etc etc), and a preamp, mics, monitors, etc etc. What I want from you guys is recommendations on what would be good for me to start with. I want to record basically guitar and vocals, and use a program to make drum beats. I don't have to record all instruments live so enough stuff for one or 2(guitar and vocals) at a time would be fine.

My budget is around $2000 to start. Thanks for your help.

Welcome Pig Destroyer! I always wanted to say that...

You're off to a good start with that computer. I'd probably up the RAM; hell, max it out, memory's cheap right now. At some point you may want another hard drive too but it's not entirely necessary at the moment.

If you want to keep using the sound card you have all you need to purchase is some tracking software (Cubase, Sonar, N-tracks etc.), an external mixer, microphones, and monitors.

Some of the tracking programs out there can also produce the beat for you - SONAR XL has this capability - or you could use something like Fruity loops or ACID and import the beat tracks into your tracking software. Most of the low end mixers give you at least 4 mic pre-amps (Mackie, Souncraft, Behringer, etc..)

If it was me I'd spend a little more and get an interface device that combined multiple pre-amps, digital mixer, MIDI interface, SPDIF, etc. Aardvark, Midiman, MOTU and other manufacturers come to mind. The remaining money could be spent on a few decent microphones, monitors, and assorted odds and ends.

Back