Tool Bass Tone - Vicarious

squibble94

Nature of Force
Can anyone decipher Tool's bass tone in the intro of Vicarious? It sounds kind of jangly. All I can pull out is overdrive, delay, and maybe a pitch shifter?

What are your thoughts?

I'm pretty sure there are no effects on that. His tone is just extremely bright with a bit of a mid scoop. You probably just want to have strings that have an extremely bright tone, and you could also raise the treble too. Also, he picks his bass. There is a slight possibility he might be using the whammy pedal in that song but its hard to hear for me to make an accurate guess.

If you're interested, I know he uses Wal basses

Thanks for the reply! I love his tone. I could swear I'm hearing some sort of pitch shift in there though...

There are absolutely effects on that intro. And where do you get the possibility of a whammy pedal mr. the tank?

Sounds to me like simply an Octaver run into some overdrive.

If you listen to Tool or know anything about his style, he uses plenty of effects, and the Whammy is extremely common for him to use. I merely suggested it because he tends to use it alot, and it is very likely that on the accented notes he is using the pedal set to an octave up.

If you listen to Tool or know anything about his style, he uses plenty of effects, and the Whammy is extremely common for him to use. I merely suggested it because he tends to use it alot, and it is very likely that on the accented notes he is using the pedal set to an octave up.

Which is exactly why I was asking what effects he was using...

Which is exactly why I was asking what effects he was using...

I took another listen and, although I can't describe it well in words, I am near positive I am right regarding the last thing I wrote about the whammy. You can hear it on the higher accented notes it gets that sort of worbling pulsating sound (the octave jumping up). I've used a whammy pedal plenty of times and knowing Justin Chancellor's tendencies, that has to be it

They used several amps/mics combinations to achieve this tone, read that in a magazine. I think it's awesome and perfectly matches the songs :p
I guess they separated the "wool' from the "grit" using two amps/DI etc... I remember Neumann U87, Gallien Krueger amps and API console were involved.

yes... i had something huge typed out... but i think that post of chris shyler is all you need to know... (oh and how wrong i was... haha)

s

Last edited:
Back