Too small for a studio????

lesterpaul

or too narrow for a studio??? Here's the deal we are putting down some hardwood floors and the wife is getting tired of all the guitar cases all over the house. So out of the goodness of her heart she has offered to let me wall up part of our den for a music room/studio. The room now is about 33ft one way and 25 ft the other. The music room would end up being about 8 to 10 ft by 25 ft. I'm thinking that a long narrow room may pose some problems, any thoughts on the matter, what I may encounter if I go through with it, oh there is also a window that would be right in the middle of the outside facing wall. Thanks for any help.

lesterpaul said:
or too narrow for a studio??? Here's the deal we are putting down some hardwood floors and the wife is getting tired of all the guitar cases all over the house. So out of the goodness of her heart she has offered to let me wall up part of our den for a music room/studio. The room now is about 33ft one way and 25 ft the other. The music room would end up being about 8 to 10 ft by 25 ft. I'm thinking that a long narrow room may pose some problems, any thoughts on the matter, what I may encounter if I go through with it, oh there is also a window that would be right in the middle of the outside facing wall. Thanks for any help.
long narrow room will be good...

lesterpaul said:

shit, that's way bigger than what i use......

giraffe said:
shit, that's way bigger than what i use......

thats what she said ...wink...

nah seriously once I get most of the stuff relocated there it will be very cramped I'm afraid.....

so long room will be good, cool deal...I guess i'll just have to get in there and bang it out ....thanks for the replies

That isn't much smaller than my room (13X27) and that works for me. The only thing I would suggest would be to make one end of the room a little wider than the other. (to eliminate parallel walls and a few reflection problems) Maybe something like keep one end wall at 10' and make the other end wall 12', if your wife will let you install a crooked wall that is. If not a 10X25' room still has a lot of potential. A long narrow room can often work well for capturing room ambience and may have a little natural reverb.

Yeah I don't know if she'll go for the crooked wall, of course if I end up doing it I'm sure nothing about the wall will be parallel...lol. I think she has big ideas for her side of the wall as well so that would play into it also. My main concern, and it may not be a realisation, id I would like to get it as sound proof as I can, not to necessarily go in a crank it to ten all the time, but at least enough not to disturb the next rooms.

Back