Too much subsonic frequencies?

rgraves

Hi all,

I am using a frequency analyser on occasion nowadays, and I have noticed that my 2 "non-real" tracks are putting out lots of subsonic frequencies it would seem. By non-real, I mean I am using keyboard/synth and drums via a Roland TD-20, therefor not real live instruments. They are just direct in.

So on my frequency analyser it shows very high volumes down to 5 or 10 HZ on the low notes of the keyboard and same thing with the kick on the drums. Is this normal, and should I be cutting or rolling the frequencies? I mean, it doesn't seem to sound bad, but my mixes could always use improvement all things considered, so it's hard for me to say whether cutting it is benefitting the mix, or if it actually has a more life like sound with the lower frequencies left in...

Please help!

I usually roll off most stuff below 20-40Hz to get rid of that "rumble".

But that's just me.

how loud are the low frequencies reading?
do you see a DC offset problem when recording into your computer?

just go ahead and throw a high pass filter set real low (starting at like 20-30Hz maybe). and set it pretty steep

I believe most (raw) speakers cannot even play notes much below 30Hz. Well, some claim to play it but even then, it is probably just barely audible under perfect conditions. A well designed speaker cabinet will boost a resonant frequency some below 30 but never down to 5 or 10Hz. All it does is waste power (a lot) in playback amplifiers.

I would roll it off pretty hard just to see if it cleans up any. Frequencies up between 30 and 80 may become cleaner, tighter, and more defined. You'll probably find a frequency cut-off point where it makes a noticable difference.

RawDepth

Last edited:
Yeah I would place a hi pass at 20Hz. And even maybe cut some lo end aswell if the mix is muddy and booming in a bad way.

Eck

Back