Too much ride

Lomas

I've got too much ride in my overhead microphones. I can't really bring them down more in the mix 'cause then it doesn't sound good at all. Any tips or tricks that I can try to fix this? The ride is both loud AND inconsistent in volume so it'd really help to tame them somoehow.

Thanks!

That's when the conductor tells the brass section to back off a little? :)

You could also have one of the huge sounding rides that work great for live? I get that a lot.

yeeeeah :)

well everything is recorded already. I'm just trying to make the song sound a little bit more controlled and this deafening ride isn't helping!

Multiband compressor could help out; make it more bearable ... but nothing is going to completely fix it short of tracking it again.

Your best bet would probably be to re-record the tracks with better placement on the overheads if possible... If you can't do that try Daisy's suggestion. Good luck.

eq could bring it down a good few db if you can isolate the frequency with an accurate eq. i would say eq and compression or multiband compression like someone already said if you have one.

Yeah, I don't know if any amount of studio wizardry is going to do the trick. You may be able to dull the transients of the overheads with an evelope shaper, or, like someone suggested previously, try using a multiband compressor. Unfortunately however, I think the overheads are there to stay, short of re-tracking it.

The problem is that, in most cases, if the song is in 4/4, every 2nd or 4th bell hit will coincide with a snare hit, so you'll be choking every 2nd snare hit, too.

I don't know if that makes any sense reading it, but it made sense in my head before I typed it. :eek:

Back