Too much dynamic range??? John Frusciante/Beck Style

guitarboi89

This is a song that a friend recorded at my studyo (not quite a study not quite a studio):
http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?fid=6418
There seems to be a large difference between the intro and the end in loudness(mainly due to the arrangement). Should i leave it, compress/limit the mix buss(microdynamics) or just automate the volume(macrodynamics)??
I have tried to go for an open sound but listening to Beck and John Frusciante albums they seem to be quite compressed, although the Frusciante ones seem to be due to heavy layering.
Also any othe mix comments would be greatly appreciated :D

thanks gummblefish :)
anyone else have any thoughts?? i swear people spend more time talking about gear than listening to music ;)

I really enjoy the vocals, and the interplay (sonically) between them and the other instruments. the tone you have set up there is very well placed, a matter of "bleak" if you will that fits like a well complimented color in a painting. I'm more stricken by stuff like that in this particular mix than I am pondering what sort of gear, good or bad, that you use. and you probly know thats a good thing in this case, because someone is actually enjoying the music.

As far as the dynamic differences between the first 3/4 or so and the end sequence, I really think it helps in the case of the song and it's written structure, because if follows a climactic curve with the song without sacrificing the enjoyable nature of the songs softer or harder parts, whether I listen to it loud or soft. you've acheived a pretty good image of the vocals and instruments in an overall composition, in my opinion - because it's very believable from the listeners point of view, in that you feel "there" and are left with only the pleasant parts you'd like to leave to the imagination, rather than trying to listen to a good song going "this is perfect if I imagine the this or that didn't sound like it were like 25 feet away in a box or something"

Good mix. I really enjoyed that song, too. I like to relate music to painting sometimes, and if it were one, I'd spend more time appreciating this one than the last couple I happened to see passing by.

oh, and I was wondering what phase this mix is in by your personal say, just to imagine what other stuff might be happening to it later and so on. btw dunno if you are into heavy stuff but I posted in this forum few msgs back I'm dying for feedback from other people that do this stuff. less heavy stuff in the demo montage.

[r]

Back