Too Loud?! Cymbal, Crash's and Rides. What should i do?

TooHotRecords

Hey everyone.
I have a downloaded MP3 that im using for a hip hop song.
but theres only one problem. it seems that the crash's and hi hats are far too loud.
they really overpower my voice as i have a fairly deep voice.
what should i do?
should i EQ the beat?
Solutions please :confused:

Hey everyone.
I have a downloaded MP3 that im using for a hip hop song.
but theres only one problem. it seems that the crash's and hi hats are far too loud.
they really overpower my voice as i have a fairly deep voice.
what should i do?
should i EQ the beat?
Solutions please :confused:

I guess you could try to EQ some of the highs, but im not sure if that would work...cant you contact the producer and ask him to lower it, or maybe you could pay for tracks outs or so?

I guess you could try to EQ some of the highs, but im not sure if that would work...cant you contact the producer and ask him to lower it, or maybe you could pay for tracks outs or so?

Only problem is i got the track as free download from soundclick so i would probably have to pay for leasing or exclusive rights to get him/her to edit the track.
another issue is the track has a hook.
but the hook itself sounds like it doesnt have many highs as an effect.
im so confused.

Right, MP3 though not necessarily noticeable without comparison to the initial version, is actually extremely bad quality.

What Im imagining is that you have downloaded a finalized backing track... that is pre-produced, mixed and is more of a karaoke tune.
No raw audio/un edited wave files for e.g?

The problem is you are singing over a a full compressed dynamic version of the song.
Your vocals;
a) aren't edited with reflection to the mix.
b) aren't eq'd to fit in the mix space.

Afraid its never going to sound perfect.
Familiar with the phrase "you can't polish a turd"?
you need full access to control

There are steps you can take to lower its noticeability.
Don't think it'll ever sound supreme tho.

advise
a) record your voice as strongly as possible. Clarity is the key if you intend to make it eventually fit within
b) move the mic furthur away and boost the gain up. Recording a more level dynamic range. will lower bass frequencies and make it easier for your compressor to act up the signal.

Mixing, try;
a) Double tracking Panning L/R
b) Parallel compression

Try mastering the final audio and blending it in with your mix again.
May need to notch certain frequencies to stop the them battling each other for a space in the final mix.

Bare in mind your final bounce (when changed to MP3) will be twice the low quality you started with.

Hope this jargon can help. anyone else have any good pointers or corrections be my guest.

Back