Too good to be true?

ecc83

It was, sort of! Some here will know that I record the nightly wildlife in my garden? Well I have used up my last "crap" mic out there so when I saw the "qtx DM11B" on Zon for 7 quid I instantly ordered a pair.

Turns out they are made of plastic but they do at least have a metal 'globe' and the dynamic capsule looks like those in many such cheap mics and indeed the mic has a much better sensitivity than the spec' tells me at -68dB (V and at 1 Pa? ) it is much the same as an SM57.

Many of you also know I am clinically deaf so I am no longer any judge of sound quality but I think is stands up fairly well against a decent LDC?

One thing I am at a loss to explain? The capsule is wired to pins 1 &2. I have corrected that pre recording. Being plastic and the basket not being bonded to screen I think the mics would be a disaster anywhere there was an RF field but I did not have any such problems.

So, worth less than a F&C supper? Fork yes! Does my job and sometimes a mic you might not see again is handy to have? I can think AmDrams, they LOOK the part and and are a 'practical' prop. Kids parties!

Dave.

Attachments

• 2024-05-19 7quid mic snd sontronics.mp3
    2.8 MB
Back