tone shaping

dolecekq

I play thru a Peavey vypyr , yea its a smaller but im trying to build the ultimate sound possible. I also play heavy stuff.I'm considering a compressor pedal and a son
ic maximizer. Is this a good way to go? And what would you suggest?

I don't play heavy stuff, so this might not be as relevant, but I find that the best, most natural tone for a guitar is achieved with as few pedals, and signal processors as possible. Obviously a few are ok, but when people go overboard it tends to make the guitar sound tinny and just kind of "digital". There are exceptions and differing opinions, but that's what i hear. One of the best things that i realized when I started recording was how much the tone and volume control knobs on the guitar effect the output tone of the amp. It is noticeable in big leaps live (i.e. you'll notice a change if you drop the tone or volume 3 or 4 levels) but on a recording you can make a world of difference just by altering the sound by the smallest of changes (like turning up or down 1 or even half a level). Try experimenting with that first, along with the levels on your amp, and the placement of the mic (i get a fatter sound by putting the mic slightly off center about 2-3 inches away from the dust cap and angling it slightly inward). You might find that you can get the sound you are looking for without having to get new pedals. Just a thought though.

Get yourself a a Peavey 6505 and be done with it :D. You can buy the 6505 combo with the same amount of money your about to spend on pedals.

I agree...try to get where you want to be with just guitar and amp (change the amp if need be)...and THEN add pedals to expand your tonal options, but when you start chasing a tone b y stringing pedals, you might get there, but it's also messy as you have to always have everything dialed in and chained the same way for that "ultimate tone".

There are amps that will give you the tone you want.

I agree...try to get where you want to be with just guitar and amp (change the amp if need be)...and THEN add pedals to expand your tonal options, but when you start chasing a tone b y stringing pedals, you might get there, but it's also messy as you have to always have everything dialed in and chained the same way for that "ultimate tone".

There are amps that will give you the tone you want.

Yup, It's like trying to fix a poorly recorded guitar with EQ, effects, etc.. Make the "source" (the guitar itself and then the amp with no effects) sound good, then only add (ensuring each piece sounds good). Otherwise your sound will only be as good as your weakest link.

Back