Tom's or Overhead's?

xcrunner28

I'm working on expanding my home studio and right now what's really lacking are my drum mics. Right now what I'm using is an Audix i5 for Snare, HH, and Crash, a CAD KBM412 for Kick, and a cheap Sennheiser for Toms and Ride. What I'm trying to do is limit my mics to 4, so I was wondering whether to add tom mics or put up 2 overheads. In both cases I'd be getting rid of the Sennheiser.

Condensers. Small or large will work. I've used sdc's for ever, but now I'm starting to use more ldc's for overheads. It's not better or worse, just different. (slightly)

are LDC's more prone to expose a bad room?
It really depends on how you set them up. I really don't think they do, assuming you put them in the same position as you would sdc's. They are a little harder to position in an XY configuration...

If the room sucks, you might try to just get a little closer to the drums. (Or fix the room) You would have to do that with sdc's too.

It really depends on how you set them up. I really don't think they do, assuming you put them in the same position as you would sdc's. They are a little harder to position in an XY configuration...

If the room sucks, you might try to just get a little closer to the drums. (Or fix the room) You would have to do that with sdc's too.

gotcha. i only have SDC's so i didn't really know.

I posted this is another thread too, and it happens to perfectly fit the description of your thread. One dynamic mic on the snare drum, one dynamic mic in the kick drum, and a small diaphragm condenser on each tom.

Because small diaphragm condensers are so sensitive they pick up plenty of cymbals too. It's a perfect mix of overhead and close-mic sounds. Some clever mixing will make it work.

I posted this is another thread too, and it happens to perfectly fit the description of your thread. One dynamic mic on the snare drum, one dynamic mic in the kick drum, and a small diaphragm condenser on each tom.

Because small diaphragm condensers are so sensitive they pick up plenty of cymbals too. It's a perfect mix of overhead and close-mic sounds. Some clever mixing will make it work.

Hey thanks for the link the drums sound pretty good. Btw to the other two guys I ended up going with two MXL 990 LDC.

Hi,

Not sure if I am going to be of help or not, but I recently wrapped up my personal project and if I had a choice, I would choose two overhead condenser mics vs. another configuration.

Here is a sample of what I captured using my two AKG CS1000S low end condenser mic's on my kit (I had 8 tracks total, these are the two overheads only). Also against me was the room I was recording in... keep in mind, this is RAW! No EQ, no compression, no processing what so ever. And, I used a spaced pair arrangement, about 4 ft. apart and 3ft high, both mics setup with the bass drum and snare falling in the middle and also spaced so the sound reached both mics at the same time (even distance from the snare). Hope this helps.

Back