TOM's hole too big

Angermeyer

I drilled the holes for a Tune-O-Matic tailpiece and bridge, unfortuantly they are very slightly too large as the bushings fit almost snugly but are still free too spin and be removed easily. Does anyone know of a way too reduce the hole size or somthing?

Thanks

-Angermeyer

Oh man :(

I would think that someone must make a part that's a little bigger, but I don't know for sure.

If it's just a little, you may still be OK. I'd put it together and see how it sounds.

get a two part epoxy, and either fill and redrill...or just dab enough in the hole to make things snug...

Angermeyer

Find some hard round peg wood that fits snuggly in the hole you drilled. Cut the pieces just long enough to come to the top of the surface of the guitar. Glue this wood in place and let it dry. You have now filled the holes with wood again.

Redrill your holes with a smaller bit into the peg wood. Now you will a snugger whole to put your bushings in.

Hope this helps.

I am kind of hesitant on the peg idea simply bcase i already put on my finish, im in a bit of a rush:rolleyes: . so i'll probably use the epoxy, in fact my finish is a two part epoxy, since i happen to be a boat builder by trade i just couldn't resist. The only problem is i'll end up glueing them in, i hope the bridge is right beacuse i would have to saw the guitar in half to get them out again. haha

-Angermeyer

btw, thank for the advises

B4 you glue, try it dry, check alignment and if it looks good it most likely is. 2 pot epoxys are strong enough and although a lot of people would have you believe different guitars don't mind if something is a couple of "thouands" off, in fact some I've seen over the years must have been assembled by the "Blind Institute"

I agree with Clive Hugh, Try it without the glue first. If it's too loose you can always add the glue later, but once it's in there your stuck.

philboyd studge said:
Toothpicks.

Hey! That's a good idea! You'd still get good contact with with the guitar body and there's no glue that could dampen your sustain.

Good call philboyd studge!

Yeah thats a good idea, mabye those flat ones...

hell i could get colors that match the finish.
cool thanks.

-Angermeyer

Angermeyer said:
since i happen to be a boat builder by trade i just couldn't resist.

well..I'm a sailboat tech, and I've yet to build my first fiberglass guitar...!!. kinda where I got the epoxy idea though.... I use the stuff all over the house....moldings, trim.... no spackle or wood putty for me!!

what boat [manufacturer] to you build for?

I build for a small company owned by Sam Devlin, Only 5 people on the crew so we make 'em slow, but there extremly nice boats. Totally playthings for the rich. the One were doing now is 45 ft at 950,000 dollars, thats 950 sm-57's:eek:

www.devlinboat.com

What do you do as a tech?

-AA

Hehehe

He must have missed a zero somewhere in there.

I would go with the dowel method for two reasons. Although the toothpick idea is good, it's going to look like shit.

1. Getting a piece of dowel rod is cheap (make sure it's the same wood as the body) and buy it about 1/4" in diameter than your existing drilled holes. Bore out the hole slightly smaller than the diameter of the dowel rod, cut the dowel and match the grain to that of the body. Glue the dowel in place. The idea of making a larger hole for the dowel is that you will be drilling into wood and not glue when you try this again.

2.Correct me if I'm wrong but the anchoring of the bridge, as long as it's glued or epoxied to the body solidly, will have no effect on the tone. The tone is achieved from the break of the strings across the bridge and the vibration of the strings above the pickups. Since there is minimal vibration near the anchoring screws of the bridge and tailpiece, either of these methods should not effect the guitar significantly.

Since the body itself seems to be in good shape, you should be good to go. Then again, I could be talking out of my a**. Good Luck.

well holy shit... Enough of my epoxy finish seeped into the wood so that the holes are a perfect size:cool: But of course i meant to do that.

My next question is this...
I want to more or less star ground this thing, how do you get a wire to make contact with a tom style pice of equipment:confused: . I don't want it to show obviusly and my pickguard doesn't come close enough to cover it.

What do people think?
-Angermeyer

Angermeyer said:
What do you do as a tech?

-AA

typically, everything to unloading them off the trucks, installing equipment such as electronics, generators, air cond...etc to rigging them for use and additionally taking the new owners out for a test sail and how to use their new boat. We're dealers for Hunter and Beneteau sailboats primarily (used boats too), located on Kentucky Lake with boat sizes generally ranging from 23' to 46'.

Awwww:(

You get to do all the fun stuff, I just sand shit and glue shit together. Is kentcky lake in Kentucky by ay chance?

Any idea how to ground a tom bridge?

-Angermeyer

Back