Tom Stand vs Tom mount

tilinmyowngrave

Is there any difference between mounting toms on the bass drum and mounting them on a stand? Does it affect the way the toms and/or the kick resonate? Lately I've seen a bunch of drummers who mount their toms on stands... I'm just curious.

You're referring to mounting on a stand versus on the bass drum? Yeah it makes a difference. Although the bass drum is not as susceptible to massive tubes running through it as toms are, it still cuts down on the resonance and volume of the bass drum. Furthermore, anytime you hit the bass drum the toms will vibrate, which can suck during recording.

I prefer them on stands if they're nice drums. If they suck or you're just playing live, it's not that big a deal.

Yareek said:
You're referring to mounting on a stand versus on the bass drum? Yeah it makes a difference. Although the bass drum is not as susceptible to massive tubes running through it as toms are, it still cuts down on the resonance and volume of the bass drum. Furthermore, anytime you hit the bass drum the toms will vibrate, which can suck during recording.

I prefer them on stands if they're nice drums. If they suck or you're just playing live, it's not that big a deal.

Hm... wut if ur bass drums already have the holes for the tom mounts? If I switch to a stand, wud the hole for the tom mounts be a problem for the bass drum? If it is, is there anyway I cud try to fix it?

tilinmyowngrave said:
Hm... wut if ur bass drums already have the holes for the tom mounts? If I switch to a stand, wud the hole for the tom mounts be a problem for the bass drum? If it is, is there anyway I cud try to fix it?

I doubt you would have any problems with it. I haven't had any, and no one I know has had problems either.

I would recommend mounting your toms on your cymbal stands, using a Pearl AX20 clamp, or you could even use an AX35 clamp to mount 2 toms on either side of a cymbal stand. One on each side is good for balance. I have a 14x12 and a 15x14 tom on either side of a cymbal stand (using an AX35 clamp) which also holds a 20" crash and its rock solid!

The hole in the bass drum shouldn't give you any problems, but it could rattle if the wing nuts that normally hold your tom holders are loose.

If you want to improve your kick drum sound though, putting new self muffling heads like Remo powerstroke, and taking out any other stuff from inside the drum will make a much bigger difference than moving your toms on to stands.

Phrase

Back