Tom Mounting Suggestions

fixthedoor

I have an early 60's Slingerland Modern Solo Outfit which has an extremely lousy mount system for the tom toms.

I'm looking to separate the tom toms from themselves as well as the bass drum and I need help. The Pearl ISS makes me nervous (too much movement), while the Optimounts seem to be a better solution.

I have read few different threads about how snare stands are the way to go. The main argument is that the stands don't deform the toms like mounts do, ultimately improving the sound. At the moment, I'm not sure what type of snare stand I should be looking into. A conventional stand or one with a boom which would better locate the tom toms over the bass drum.

Something like this: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Taye-Dr...are-Stand-with-Ball-Tilter-500604-i1424890.gc

They make a shorter boom, but again I don't know what the hell I need. What do you guys stink?

Last edited:
I thought the same thing, but I was concerned about how far the boom could actually be extended until the whole assembly would tip over while playing.

I thought the same thing, but I was concerned about how far the boom could actually be extended until the whole assembly would tip over while playing.

You shouldn't have to extend it too far, and unless you're mounting a floor tom up there, it shouldn't be a problem anyway.

Another way is to have your toms coming off of cymbal stands that are on either side of your kick.

If they are a valuable old set I'd be tempted to use Rims type mounts so I didn't have to drill any holes.

Yeah no floor toms.

Regarding the drilling of holes, that's why I'm looking at lug mount systems (like RIMS or Optimounts) and the snare stands. My main issue with the lug mount systems is they use rubber grommets which will eventually need to be replaced for one reason or another.

Back