Tom Mics (200 budget)

wildflower soul

I'd LOVE to get 2 Sennheisher 421's but i don't think i can afford it since i'm upgrading ALL my drum mics. when i saw 200 i mean each not combined.... i like my toms to sound real low... i record grungy/punk/rock music.

Any recomendations would be greatly appreciated thank you very much

Wait 200 each mic?
D112.
200 Total?
Sorry not much else but the 57.

[anecdote]I was teaching someone today about mic choice, and when they wanted to use a 57 on snare, when 441's were laying around, I grabbed the mic out of his hand and said "this is what you use a 57 for" and continued to hit a nail in the table with it.[/anecdote]

The Sennheiser 604s sound real good to me on toms, compared to a 57. I think you will really dig them. People will rip on me, because they're clip ons, but if you play live they rule for the price. 3 for $330! I only like 57's on snare. For your Kick AKG D112. :D

Gnash5150 said:
The Sennheiser 604s sound real good to me on toms, compared to a 57. I think you will really dig them. People will rip on me, because they're clip ons, but if you play live they rule for the price. 3 for $330! I only like 57's on snare. For your Kick AKG D112. :D
i agree with everything else you said i'll have to check out the 604's... I'm a big sennheiser fan too!

Thanks!

I've been playing with the E609's a lot lately. They're a little rough to place and not such a hit with a wild hitter but, I like them. You've gotta use a kind of up over the edge peek-a-boo approach with them. I like that they help a lot in keeping the cymbals out.

My 2 cents worth.

I agree with Kenny, the ATM25 is hard to beat for the money. I use them on kick and floor tom. They're very good at bringing out the lower frequencies.

If you like the sound of your toms, look into the Audix D2 and/or the D4. These mics seem to be good at reproducing the sound without accenting frequencies, ie, a true reproduction of the source sound. I don't have one, but have heard an awful lot of good things about the Audix D6. It's designed for lower frequencies and like the D2 & D4, is supposed to be a very "true" mic.

Just more to think about.

Joel

I'm using the D112 on the kick right now. sm57 on snare (of course) and Audio Technica Pro-37's OH's.... I Just switched from 16 track analog to a digital setup so alot of things sound different to me... I was never ever satisfied with my Tom mics to begin with.

I'm gonna check out the suggestions though thanks alot!

Maybe I'll save a little longer for some 421's

Last edited:
I use the EV N/D468 as well, excellent sound and positioning, and better than some mic's costing twice as much.
on stand toms I love the AKG D3600 Tri-Power.

wildflower soul said:
Maybe itll hep if i tell what kinda kit I use. Tama Rockstar. Aquarian Superkick II. Aquarian Poswehouse snare. And Aquarian performance II tom heads and all Zildjian A Cusom cymbals.

I just don't feel my toms are sounding as good as they could.
On the Tama Rockstar drums, you might try Coated Ambassador heads instead - and tune them a little lower than you would for the stage. You can go with Ambassador Clears on the bottom heads. They work nicely for recording.

Gnash5150 said:

Don't fool yourself, just because D112s are generally used on Kicks, doesn't mean that is thier only use. ;)

I've heard some nice sounding toms comming from D112s, not only my own recordings, but I actually picked up the idea from a recording/mixing engineer from New York. He used them on several songs on an up comming CD.

I use 57's On my higher toms and MD421's on lower toms...I also like the e609, though I've never used it on toms - I'm sure it could suffice. Another idea would be to pick up a couple Studio Projects mics - a B3 in 8 pattern for a pair of rack toms and a B1 on your low tom...Just an idea...

Jacob

I bought a set of drum mics off craigs list called Phoenix. They sound great! I got them for $175 the guy said he was importing them and he had to get rid of his inventory cause he was closing his distribution company. If you like, contact me via private message and I will give you his number.

Back