Tom Mic setup do I need to invest in a mic for Floor tom only.

sk8ingsnowman

How many drummers actually have floor toms?

How many tom mics should I get?

here are a few setups I was thinking about (talking about toms only)

2 audix d2's
and 1 ATM25

3 E604's

2 sm57'w and 1 e602

or some other combo using those mics

any thoughts??

Most drummers have floor toms. The number of rack toms is usually the main variable.

You don't need a mic specifically designed for floor tom - a mic that sounds good on either a kick drum or on a rack tom will probably work just fine. Something like the ATM25, Beyer M88, Sennheiser 421, EV ND408, etc.

Remember, that most of the tom sounds will probably be captured by your overheads, so that is the place to spend your money. The close mics will be used mostly to "fill in" or enhance the toms in the overheads.

I'd avoid 57's on toms. They work fine for live toms, but in the studio they can sound like ass. The EV N/D408's are good affordable tom mics, as littledog posted.

I think some of the best tom mics are the Studio Projects B1 and B3. And the good thing about them is they're very good mic for other applications such as acoustic guitar, amps and even some vocals. The B's are also great on drum overheads.

SP B's were used on toms on the two songs available for MP3 download here
http://www.thelisteningsessions.com/jazzooo.htm

N/D408 on rack toms and B3 on floor tom in all the mixes on Sessions 6 & 7 here
http://www.thelisteningsessions.com/sessions.htm

littledog makes a good point about the OH mics also being important for tom sounds, and many great recordings only use OH mics and no direct tom mics.

For great affordable OH mics, check out the Oktava MK319 - they're super cheap at GC right now - I think like $50 or something. Definitely under $99.

It might be good - if you're just starting to record drums - to go with 4 mics total: OH pair, snare and kick.

A great set of mics for that kind of set up:
OH: MK319's or B1's.
Snare: SM57
Kick: ATM25

If you then want to add tom mics, B1's only run $79 each - so you can do it cheaply. And also use the B's for other applications besides toms.

Good luck!

Dan Richards
The Listening Sessions
The Project Studio Handbook

Right know I have

2 E602's I usaually use one for micing a bass cab but I was thinking of using it on Floor Tom

Sm57 snare

2 MC012's for OH

Just trying to decide if I want to shell out the money for tom mics because if I get more tom mics I will need more pre's so it is sort of an expensive decision.

there is an old cheap solution.

an old studio trick.
try a big 15 inch speaker as a drum mic. but watch the levels.
some put out quite a punch. if you choose the right speaker
you can get a fat bottom end kick sound due to the width of the speaker diaphragm. just wire the speaker terminals to a jack.
ive known people use old bass cab speakers for this application.
and had very surprising results.

I've got the Audix DP2 drum mic kit and I would have to say that I'm not very happy with it (in the studio). It's okay for live recordings, but I would prefer something else in the studio.

Dot said:
I could say, though, that if you used MK319's on OH's - you'd get a lot better total kit sound - especially the toms - than you're getting from the MK012's.

Dan Richards

I'm using the Mk012's as my oH's and it sounds pretty good except the toms sound a little thin.....my mic placement is similiar to the 3 mic technique documented here by recorderman......

I'd be interested to know what type of mic placement you've used with the Mk319's to get the better total kit sound you've described.....I've heard the Mk319's are a little dark when it comes to picking up the crashes...

try this

a pair of crown pzm's as ohds.
capturing the toms as well.
i'll be surprised if you can beat the sound quality.
if you wish , augment with 441 or 421 on toms.

I'd be interested to hear a sound clip of the manning, have you got anything? Did you mount them on something or was the wall just infront of the kit?

Dot said:
I could say, though, that if you used MK319's on OH's - you'd get a lot better total kit sound - especially the toms - than you're getting from the MK012's.

Dan Richards
The Listening Sessions
The Project Studio Handbook

Hey Dot,

is there something you really like about the Octava MK319's for overs as apposed to the B-1? since they're around the same price

also, even if one uses LD mics as overs do you still recomend the B-1's on toms?

(I'm using MC012's as overs, nine mics total for drums..as a drummer that might explain the 9!)

canopus re crown

some people mount them on perspex or build a special mount for over the drums. you could try a V shape xy configuration.
best bet is to rent a pair and see if you like the sound.
I would like to post mp3's etc of the sound but ive just signed a deal with a california label to sell my songs across the USA,
and as such i cant. i want to give them a long head start in the market as they have been very decent with me as i'm a relative unknown songwriter on the US scence. sorry.

It really depends on the room that you're recording in. I used to use a lot of close mic'ing on my kit when my room sucked, and I used 10 mics on my kit. A pair of mk-012's as overheads an e604 on snare, an e835 on hats, an ATM25 on kick, I have three mounted toms and I used a Redio Shack 33-3032 on my 10", an e604 on my 12" an Audix F12 on my 14" on my floor toms I used an AT Pro 25 on my 16" and en Oktava Mk319 on my 18".

Now I have a completely isolated drum room that has bass traps and auralex foam covering the walls and ceiling, it's dead. I use only my two overhead MK 012's in an x-y coincidental pair, an e604 on snare and the ATM25 on kick and that's all I really need. If I want a bit more on the floors, I guess I could use the Mk319 to pick up both floors, but I haven't needed to yet.

I really like the Blue Ball on floor toms. I just got done writing a review for Mojo Pie that describes this in a little more detail, so you may want to watch for that in the near future.

Seems like the size and shape of the ball would make it kind of difficult to put it in an unobtrusive position, at least on a lot of drum kits. Especially if the drummer sets up their cymbals really low. If you like the sound no one can argue, but the geometry alone would make it a dubious candidate for a "universal" tom solution, especially for someone who can't presently afford to buy and keep multiple alternatives.

littledog said:
Seems like the size and shape of the ball would make it kind of difficult to put it in an unobtrusive position, at least on a lot of drum kits. Especially if the drummer sets up their cymbals really low. If you like the sound no one can argue, but the geometry alone would make it a dubious candidate for a "universal" tom solution, especially for someone who can't presently afford to buy and keep multiple alternatives.

I didn't find it difficult at all on my kit. The floor tom is far from any cymbals. Maybe the kit I was using was atypical.

No, it's my mistake. I keep forgetting that a lot of people here are mainly mic'ing only one drum kit, and not seeing different ones every week. If it works on your kit, then that's all that matters for you.

In my case, most floor toms have a crash cymbal somewhere in its immediate vicinity. In the case of many jazz drummers, the cymbal is often only a few inches above the the drum head, which usually requires using a mic with a reasonably small footprint. That's why I like the ATM25 or an AKG414.

To use that ball effectively you would require, as you said, for there to be no cymbals anywhere near the floor tom. For those of you planning on mic'ing only one kit of that particular configuration then perhaps the Blue Ball is an excellent solution. So far, I haven't had the privilege of testing one on floor tom or anything else!

Back