toggling between two keys

I can toggle key changes easily with my DX7.

My question to those who use the Yam Motif, can you toggle key changes with that synth?

I can change the key but have not figured out if I can toggle it on the Motif, like between Eb and, say, C.

Thanks,
Green Hornet

I dont really know what you mean...

But playing in Eb means that you will use different notes on your keyboard then when playing in C (all white notes if it's C major).

I mean, it is you that has to play in a different key.... not the keyboard.

If you are talking about a minor third transposition (up) going from C to Eb, then I believe there is this function in every keyboard, just open up the manual and check Transposing.

:cool: Oh great Demented one, as equal to your reply.

I do PLAY"THE FUCKING THING." Send me something you've done on the keyboard and I'll send you one of my compositions and let's see who has the best fingers?

I can play in other keys but it is easier when recording to push a key change button and move to the new key even if it is all white notes--H. Carmmichael had a special piano to do this--check it out.

Like guitar players dig E and A but do not like the flat keys; however, if you're a top talent, like Dick Reynolds from Chicago is, it doesn't matter.

So, thanks for you non-answer and enjoy the waning summer or whatever lixiviates through your realm.

Green Hornet

:D Yo Ten and eleven kas:

I'm very aware of Eb and C and which one is all white notes, mostly and which has 3 flats and no apartments involved.

What I'm doing is trying to make the process of recording and changing keys easier--this saves time by not having to do more tracks than necessary.

Key changes are very dynamic and if you listen to Bobby Darrin do "Mack the Knife," you'll get the idea. There are countless others but I'm saving time by not mentioning them.

Enjoy the breezes of summer and the key will soon change in the Midwest.

Green Hornet:cool:

I've got the S90 which I believe is the same synth engine. You can program transposed patches but it's not easy to do on the fly.

:DYo Tex:

Many thanks. The DX7 can switch keys on the fly and that's why I'm going to reconnect it to my system.

I guess Yamaha decided to leave the quick/switch off the Motif and just have the step-changes which is no big problem; it is just not as fast as the DX7.

Thanks again and hoping you are having a great summer.

Green Hornet

Cant you transpose a patch and save the transposition in the patch??:confused:

I hear ya, Green Hornet. My keyboards have various ways of transposing. My Yamaha MM6 has transpose buttons on it, others you do on the screen etc. Even with the transpose buttons, it wouldnt be quick because they are half steps. I would suggest having one patch in the right key, then saving the very next patch in the transposed key for a one button switch.

:DYo Tex:

Many thanks. The DX7 can switch keys on the fly and that's why I'm going to reconnect it to my system.

I guess Yamaha decided to leave the quick/switch off the Motif and just have the step-changes which is no big problem; it is just not as fast as the DX7.

Thanks again and hoping you are having a great summer.

Green Hornet

Big mistake. The DX7 is a terrible choice as a MIDI controller since its keyboard is incapable of transmitting MIDI velocities above 99.

You can easily access the transpose function on the Motif by hitting the Utility button. You should also try learning more about the Motif's Master Mode which would easily do what you are attempting.

:D
Yo Brz:

Thanks for the input; however, I don't use the DX7 as a midi controller. I just use its patches for overdubbing tracks. However, its patches are NOT as good as the Motif for sure; but, I do have one called Fred's Piano which is good, as well as many others as I have extra ROM cartridges with many choices and each patch can be tweaked.

DAVID K: Thanks to you too. The DX7 will transpose to "any" key I want, as will the Motif. The Motif uses 1/2 steps clicks; the DX7 will accept any note; like if I push the Eb key when I activate "transpose" the DX will go to Eb when I hit the button. Of course, it depends on what key I'm using in concert as to how effective the transposition is; but, there are several ways to skin the proverbial cat.

I just like to use "easy" methods to get to where I'm going. Sometimes it takes me 4 hours to do a 3 minute song, or longer depending how how many tracks I want to use/key changes/etc.

Thanks for all the "valuable" input.

Green Hornet:D

There are other keyboards that will transpose that way. You can just hit the transpose button and play a key and it will transpose by that amount. It's a nice feature.

I just played a keyboard like that, but I can't remember the name or model number. I think it was a Yamaha.

I sort of got messed over a little on that gig because I was relying on the transpose button, but they found a real piano in storage in the back room and decided that's what they wanted me to play. So all of a sudden I had to play these songs in the transposed keys from sight. I was sweating there for a little while.

The thing about transposing on sight is that the more you do it, the better you get at it. So four hours will eventually become 1 hour, which will eventually become a few minutes. The people that are really good at it can do it instantaneously. I'm not that good at it yet, I still need to work out the chords and notes depending on the transposition. But I'm getting faster.

However, if you always use the transpose button you'll never develop the skills.

:DYo Alberto:]

Muy verdad Alberto. However, after some 30 years of gigs, gals prompted to come up on stage and sing by their boyfriends, rooming with classical dudes who taught me a great deal, I guess I'm just taking the "easy" way out but, still modulating when I deem it cool to do so.

I learned a great deal in a short introduction to Ravel--one end going up and the other going down--it has so many possibilities and doing the chromatics isn't hard.

I really admire those folks who can sight read "on the spot." But, keyboard players even more so as there are two fistfuls of notes to work with while the horn player has only ONE at a time. But, as I said, I admire those folks and hung around with some studio musicians and learned.

I have a good friend who retired up here in Michigan who is a pure professional and what a keyboard person. Jazz, commericials, his own company, and he is "always" willing to help me out, and has done stuff at my studio.

So, if I'm slow to attack sight-reading and transposition, well, I guess it's because I'm in a hurry to get the music onto CD.

Always appreciate your comments and have learned a great deal from you and the other astute folks who make music and talk on this forum

Green Hornet

Back