Toft ATC-2 or AFC-2 any opinions?

Rev E

I'm in the market for an EQ or EQ-preamp. The Toft line is really looking quite nice to me. I'm leaning towards the AFC-2 (which is the EQ-preamp model ... no compressor). I read Fletcher's review of the ATC-2. The EQ (it appears) sounds great. I can't get passed Fletcher's comments about the pres "sucking," even though he later said that this is in reference to higher priced stuff like Manley, Martech and the rest (Fletcher says that the Toft pres are equivalent to the Focusrite and Grace pres). I'm also considering the Speck parametric EQ and an RNP. Does anyone have any direct experience with either the ATC-2 or AFC-2? The place I'm looking at has a return policy, but a more informed opinion is a good thing before purchase.

Last edited:
Under further "interrogation" by yours truly in a later thread,
that was where Fletcher clarified they were comparable to the Grace pre's.

I tried the Toft pre's out a bit at NAMM and they sounded nice
and clean to me.

Alan Hyatt is justifiably proud that the great producer/engineer,
Tony Visconti, is a big fan already of the Toft BTW.

Chris

I own the toft atc-2 and use it on everything, I also have a focusrite vmp and an hhb radius 50. The compressor is great for me, you have to push it mighty far to pump it, the eq is phenom and I think the pres are very claen and have a great presence boost to them
For a two channel strip it does an awful lot and the eq is so nice to work with, it really adds a lot to my mix
It works well with tubes (NTK and GT 1B) and dynamics (re 20 sennheiser 441 or 421) and my at 3035 or 4033
In His Name
Big Kenny

I "borrowed" one from a store here and tried it out on my voice and acoustic guitar. I have to say, it could very well be my next pre purchase. Everything BK said, I agree with, having only tinkered with it for a few hours. The pres are nice and neutral, compressor is workable (took me a second to catch on to it), and the EQ is soooo nice. VERY musical. I'd say it's definatly worth every penny ($975). The only complaint I had was on the back, the XLR ins/outs are opposite the actual front controls. For a sec, I thought it was defective, then i was like.....damn. It's an awfuly cute box.

speck is more surgical eq then the toft but the toft is a more musical one at least when i asked mr. mercenary.

if you want an eq to add air and wow factor i think the toft is the better ticket. I have a speck and love it though...so you'd be good to go with either YMMV

Teacher said:
speck is more surgical eq then the toft but the toft is a more musical one ...

if you want an eq to add air and wow factor i think the toft is the better ticket. I have a speck and love it though...so you'd be good to go with either YMMV

Thanks Teacher,

That's also my understanding, and given that I'm more interested in color that surgical EQ right now, I'm heavily leaning towards the Toft deal.

Back