Today, I injured both of my hands....

32-20-Blues

Guitar playing might be out of the question for a while. :( :mad:

This afternoon, I was doing some work around the house - running some cables under the floorboards in my living room. I was drilling into the floor when the drillbit (a hole-cutting bit) got jammed tight. The drill started to spin wildly around, and cracked me across the knuckles of my right hand. I can't move my third finger or my pinky without massive amounts of pain. So that put fingerpicking out of the question for a while....

...However, I could still hold a pick between thumb and index finger, so I decided to strum some chords during the evening. I was playing my brother's telecaster, and not doing anything too complicated. Suddenly, I get this really sharp pain in the thumb of my left hand. It's a few hours later, and now the thumb and index finger of my left hand are totally numb. I don't know what to do about this.....

Yikes....

It always to sucks hear of a fellow guitar player being put out of commission, hopefully it heals up well and quickly too.

Definitely get yourself to a doctor ASAP. I'd go to the hospital if i were you, but I don't know what its like over in your part of the world so maybe thats not as easy as it is here.

Adam

It always to sucks hear of a fellow guitar player being put out of commission, hopefully it heals up well and quickly too.

Definitely get yourself to a doctor ASAP. I'd go to the hospital if i were you, but I don't know what its like over in your part of the world so maybe thats not as easy as it is here.

Adam

:D I'm from Ireland, not some third world place. Our hospitals are just fine, and they're free. :p

Thanks for your concern, though. I probably will see a doctor tomorrow.

Try to get into an Urgent care office that might be open on the weekend-Doctors will probably not be open. In the meantime I would keep an ice pack on the hands to take down swelling-Ibuprofen will often help to take down swelling and is an over the counter medicine. Good luck..somehow I think you're brother was probably involved in this~:rolleyes:

Try to get into an Urgent care office that might be open on the weekend-Doctors will probably not be open. In the meantime I would keep an ice pack on the hands to take down swelling-Ibuprofen will often help to take down swelling and is an over the counter medicine. Good luck..somehow I think you're brother was probably involved in this~:rolleyes:

Thanks Tony, I had an ice pack on my right hand for most of the day. I'll get some Ibuprofen.

And my brother was only involved to the extent that it was his Telecaster that caused the pain. My Strat would never injure me :D

Ice pack for 15 minutes, hot water for 5 minutes. repeat to stop the swelling. Get to A an E and get an xray done. There isn't much you can do unless you have a dislocation or it's the thumb you've damaged but better to be sure.

Through a combination of work and playing cricket and rugby over the last thirty years I have broken every finger in both hands at some time or other more than once. Look after them they are your most important tools after your eyes and ears. Next time you loose control of a power tool step back from it and through a blanket or large rag over it if it doesn't have a big red stop button.;)

I should have told him that my Telecaster doesn't like other players - it has a self preservation mechanism built in. Oh well. Next time play your own damn Tele!

Check for some upper arm tendant problems, it could have gone up there, you dont want that.
Just make sure mate.

Ouch.
One of the drummers I regularly gig with just mangled one of his fingers with a hole-saw bit. It looks pretty gross!

Hope there's no lingering damage. I broke my right pinky and it never healed properly, lucky for me it was my non fretting hand, so it doesn't affect playing.

32-20-Blues

We haven't heard back from you......either it was more serious than expected, or you'ves been self medicating and are in no condition to type a response.

In either case.........I hope you'll be OK

32-20-Blues

We haven't heard back from you......either it was more serious than expected, or you'ves been self medicating and are in no condition to type a response.

In either case.........I hope you'll be OK

Hey, just back from a few days holiday. The hands are both fine now, although I haven't been playing much guitar. I'll try later on, and report back.

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys.

Hope all is good long term. If not dig out those old Django recordings. Theres a wealth of promise in there for the digitally dysfunctional hand..;)

Back