To tube, or NOT to tube?

jdavis

Ok, here's the situation...

RIght now i'm recording with the Digi001, a couple marshall mics, and a *cough* Behringer mixer. Coming this weekend, i'll have the funds to possible buy another piece of equipment to add to the mix here. So, i'm thinking of getting a Bluetube mic pre. Good idea? 150 bucks is about what i'm looking to spend, and i'd say it's probably the most important thing to buy, considering what I have right now. Anyone else agree? Any other ideas of what piece of gear might be a good idea? Yeah, it's a broad question, I know, but in terms of having a good mic-mic pre chain, or whatever, i'm just curious if investing in a mic pre is the smart thing to do at this point. Let me know your thoughts, opinions, gripes, quarrels, etc... Thanks!

***Justin***

By the way, i'm recording mostly acoustic rock, and rock ala. Lenny Kravitz, Matchbox 20, etc...

I think a decent mic pre is always a good investment. I have 4 outboard pres aside from my mixer, and I find that you never know when one will sound just right.

H2H

hey

Yeah, getting a pre is the next logical step, then goto better mic's then to a better mixer. Good call. That'll give you a totally diffrent sound. thats a nice analog pre my man. i have two . I am also diggin the joe meek gear too. though more expensive.

oh yeah, I actually do have a compresser and a multi-effects, super magic box thing...just didn't mention them cause I don't use them primarily...I usually use the software compresser in Pro Tools

***Justin***

VC6Q British Channel

Just talked to a guy at Guitar Centers who told me that they will no longer be carrying the Joe Meek gear, so they are blowing out the VC6Q for $199. This preamp is $349 every where else, naturally I bought one. There aren't many left though, so I had to get mine shipped from Virginia Beach (I live in Ohio).

If you're into the Joe Meek sound, this may be the time to take the plunge and get one.

Amazing. I spoke with the guitar center in queens, NY on tues and the guy tells me that the VC6q is going for $200 so I say ok put me down for one. He says there are none in stock, the one closest to here is in virginia beach, they have one left. So I tell him Ill take that one. He says let me call to verify, he calls and its gone. I guess you have it. Anyway he found another one elsewhere which should be here next week. Enjoy it.

JuSumPilgrim.

I went through the same thing on Tuesday with Guitar Center in Queens. But he told me the VC3Q was $99, and that it should be there in 4-5 business days.

I was told 2 days ago that they were out of V6Q's at GC!!!
(They had supposedly also searched nationwide)

"Settling" for a V3Q though (nice little box) for $99.

P.S. jdavis, Studio Projects is coming out shortly with the
VTP-1 mic pre. It looks as though it will be a very flexible
tube pre since you can dial in the amount of tube tone
rather than just increasing "gain".

Really Small World!

JuSumPilgrim

That is amazing! I'll bet the guys at G.C. Virginia Beach were fielding calls all week on that one VC6Q. What a small world. "Six meekrees of seperation."

jdavis, from what I've heard the Blue Tube is more likely a step down from the Behringer pres--at best not a step up. Why waste $150? Save a little longer and get something that is actually a step up like the Presonus MP 20. The Meek VC6Q would also be a good choice--very versatile.

Bigbear, we're one big family... :D

It is amazing how small a world it is sometimes. It also happens to be that in this pocket of the recording community, joe meek is really popular. There are other pockets where gear we dont talk about much is really popular. Alot of people who never visited this board never heard of mindprint or the RNC or studio projects. All they know about is pro tools and avalon and rode. So in a sense its not surprising that 3 guys from this board are all chasing the same pre.

man, I timed this wrong..
got a vc6q for christmas.... $350.... now it's $200??????

oh well.... what do you guys think, should I get a vc3q for $99 as well? I mean, wouldn't hurt to have another outboard pre for drums/vocals/ whatever, right? and at a hundred bucks..... my one thing is just that I hope the sound is different enough from the vc6q to justify having two joe meek units.... what do you guys think?

First, the VC6Q is still a great deal for $350.

Second, for $99 you can't go wrong with the VC3 IMO.

Vota, Guitar Center has a 30 day price protection policy-
maybe if you bought it from another dealer they have it too?

I was able to score a (out of box) VC6Q today for $199.
When I return the V3Q next week that'll be one more up
for grabs at $99! (hardly/if any left)

Hey guys,
Well, I just got back from G.C., and bought their last VC3Q they had here in Knoxville. Can't hook it all up til I get back to Murfreesboro on Monday night, but i'll let ya'll know what I think. Thanks for the reccomendations!

***Justin***

Don't listen to the Blue Tube naysayers. It's a great little box, and is definitely a step up from the preamps in your Behringer. Almost anything is. The blue tube also doubles as a nice little Bass DI box.

JDavis,

Your best bet is to do your homework (read through the threads, here and elsewhere, if possible, go to your local outlet and see what they have and try some units out) then make your decission. Right now, the best deals out there are the Joe Meeks. If you want to get Meeked. Two months ago it was MindPrint. Next month it could be someone else. However, if you can get hold of a British Channel for $200...wow, that's a great deal! I have a VC1Q and it was worth every penny. It has taken my Behringer out of the signal chain...certainly a plus. I think anytime you can outboard for pres, you might be better off, then again, in your price range, there are many choices out there and all are the going to be the best choices. Best of luck!

lavoz

Back