To study or not to study an SAE (School of Audio Engineering) 1year certificate?

Nigie

Dear music makers, I've just completed a year of happy home recording on a 16 bit soundcard with crappy mic and hi-fi speakers for monitors! I'm not being sarcastic. I have enjoyed it immensely and learned some.

I'm one of those ridiculous people who is actually seriously and a bit secretly working toward some form of commercial return for my music making efforts though the road is long and windy and many fall by the wayside!

My delema at this point is, is US$2225 (cost of course) and a "full time" work effort better put into humming along in the same fashion - ie self learning with help from forums like this and info websites, upgrading gear so I can get better sound OR, the big OR - spending all that time and material resource doing a hands on studio course?

I can't see myself actually working in commercial studios (ie recording my music in them) for some time - and hopefully never - partly because of cost but importantly also because recording to me is a very personal experience which I prefer to do in my own home if this is not too much of a fanciful dream considering the advantages of a full blown commercial studio.

Looking from the negative perspective which is interesting, if I did a course like this I'd be a bit afraid it would be teaching me to use equipment I would not be using at home anyway and would be giving me info that was generally too far outside what I could really use at home. And I would be bitching to myself about the time I was losing figuring out my latest software better and getting first hand home-recorder dialogue with you guys on this forum not to mention the preamp and speakers I could afford or nearly afford if I didn't do the course.

If I did not do the course I'd be thinking....Well there could be all this mysterious "engineering" technical stuff and technique that really requires a hands on learning environment to pick up.

I don't need to know how to record bands or live drums. I only have myself, my keyboard and my guitars and voice to record (which is a bit like a band I suppose).

I've talked to two teachers at the college on these matters and when they understood I'm not out to get a job as a recording engineer but I just want to record myself they fall back into a dilema too and then we're all in a dilema (I don't think I'm spelling that correctly?).

Anyway, if there are any people who could give me the benefit of hindsight on decisions they'd made on this college/self learning theme I'd really appreciate it.

I've read the thread sent out by someone who couldn't decide whether to do a prestigious degree of sound engineering in the US (was that on this forum?) but that was different - he did want to be a recording engineer for bands etc. To be honest I'd prefer not to go to college. I feel it would be a nuisance to my current flow and momentum but there are those nagging questions about whether I'm missing out on some serious short-tracking in my musical life path if I don't jump in now, early on in the piece, and get all that sound recording learn'un under my belt so I can draw from it and experiment with it in all the years ahead.

Thankyou anyone. This is a biggish decision because for me my love and enthusiasm for music is fuelled by a feeling I'm getting somewhere and my heart can close over a bit to it all when I feel obstacles or diversions are getting too frustrating. Anyway we could all tell a story about that I'm sure.

Thankyou all very much,

Nigel from an Island called Tasmania - it's actually part of Australia but some may like to disagree.

Nigel,

I'm and engineer in California. That would be an Electrical Engineer. Not a sound engineer. Music is my passion. I have
a home studio that I am constantly working on. www.nemal.tv
I have only pursued it seriously since my divorce a year ago. That's when I started laying down the serious cash. I would like to quit my tech job someday and run a recording studio. I am realistic and 37 and don't think I'm going to hit rock stardom or pop icon status anytime soon. But I love to jam, tinker with toys (synths, computers, mixers) and be around talented musicians.

I have pondered the same question as you. But I would do it because I want to run a studio. If you don't want to run a studio and you just want to be able to record your own stuff a little better, you could learn a lot by getting some studio time and paying attention to how the engineer setups up the mics, mixes and stuff like that. Never done it myself, but if the studio was half way decent I'm sure I would get a lot out of it.

Burning a year to learn something that you aren't focusing on for career or serious serious interest seems to me like a waste. You could spend that year dialing in your own studio equipment, studying music...

But then again, if I had the time I might do it...on second thought, no I wouldn't. I'd rather working on my home studio.

Good luck,

Nemal

i would take all that money that you would have spent paying tuition, and invest it in some gear. If you dont want to work in a professional studio, you can make some pretty damn good recordings if you have good equipment and teach yourself. there are plenty of resources for learning online, and in books and magazines. this forum is a big help also. save your money, plus, it is more fun and gratifying by teaching yourself.

I love these answers. Thankyou so much Nemal and Julius for your thoughtful replies. Yes it is so much fun and gratifying going at your own pace and learning new bits and pieces every day in your own space you create for yourself.

However I 'm still wondering if there are any hardcore homerecordists who have accelerated fast from diverting their resources into formal classroom learning? Or those who have found in the LONG RUN they filled in gaps quickly at a school that would have taken them years to learn on their own?

It would be bliss to work at my own pace in my growing happy home studio. But my head says "check out the formal learning alternative first before ruling that option out" though. (Yuckie things heads sometimes).

Yes there are heaps of on-line education sources but sometimes we all experience that thing of being shown a thing being equivalent to volumes of written words. Yes, the idea of looking in at a studio sounds good Nemal. Also there is an almost free high school college course which I may be able to get into which is only about 3 or 4 hours a week. "Mature age" students are usually welcome. I have been trying to get more details on this - hopefully Monday I can talk to the guy in charge and find out more about their setup and the experience of the teacher - sounds alright doesn't it? But I'll find out soon enough.

Thankyou again for replies,

Nige

i'm looking at going to SAE in MIAMI or NEW YORK. it seems to be the best school at the price. $14,800 i was gonna go to fullsial but i know 3 people that went there and they don't know much about production...

first of all somethings to think about. First of all, all the money you could spend on a course, you could spend on some very nice gear, and learn it your own with help of internet, books, etc. its a little harder to learn the real techincal stuff like this, like sound formulas and stuff and physics, but thats really stuff you need little of actually :D. also, when you go to a college course, youll be working with the best studio equipment, probably a 56 channel console, with both options of adat, or pro tools. With 200 mics to work with, and a HI FI studio room. Now you work on that for 2 years and spend all your money doing that. Now what happens when you are done? Probably you will either get a loan, or get a job and work for 2 and live with your parents to get enough money to buy what, probably a 16 track recorder, with 2-4 microphones, few processers, and probably a pretty poor room to work with. Of course maybe 10-20 years down the road you will have the same stuff that college had, but thats a maybe. See my point?

Darnold

Thankyou so much for replies.

c9 I wonder if you're planning to do the SAE course so you can be a commercial studio engineer or purely to learn the homerecording thing better like I am?

Darnold I do see your point all too clearly. If I don't hear any strong arguments from people who have really benefited from taking a year off to learn high-end gear and then transposing that onto their home studio, I will, with happy relief spare myself the study and the expense and enjoy myself at home!!!

I'd still encourage you to try SAE if you are enthusiastic though c9. I'm sure it would be excellent getting "hands-on" with great studio gear and being shown stuff rather than having to read it or work it out alone. There's also of course the real world connections you make with other people and being able to talk out stuff with your peers in that field. I think I'll end up investing in better gear and muddling along myself though as a personal preference. Unless someone has a better idea for me!

Thanks again for taking an interest. Regards,

Nigel

I did it

I'm in austrailia so all the talk of us funds is a bit daunting but I did what we call certificate 4 in contempoary music production and i found it a fantastic way of getting to know about all this recording syuff. I had been playing drums & guit for around 12 years when I did it and had been subject to some woeful rec experiences .I knew what I wanted to get out of the course where some other students didnt. We also had some very good tutors and in the end I came out ahead and am now recording local acts nothing flash but still good cheap quick sounds. the course was run by the govt and I got a benifit payment to do it so I guess that I was very lucky in that respect. What I'm trying to say is dont under estimate the power of good and I stress good edjamakation.

(Very belated) thanks Rocky. I can appreciate the difference the cert course made for you. I've opted to go it "alone" with help from homerecording.com etc because I think the questions specific to my setup will probably be sorted out very well in this fashion. I'm sure the education bit is invaluable but when one is dealing with limited time and resources one has to be a little shrewd I think.

Many thanks for your input. I wrestled for some time over this issue and appreciate a voice from someone with positive experience from education. All power to your drumming and guit!!

Nigel

this was an one topic :)

Nigie said:

c9 I wonder if you're planning to do the SAE course so you can be a commercial studio engineer or purely to learn the homerecording thing better like I am?

Truly, i'm trying to make it commercially.i'm not even 18 yet so i can take my time some to profect my self as a producer/engineer. but i have a decent home studio now that i plan on expanding soon enough. with SAE i'm not sure many of those ppl are looking to run a nice home studio, i'm sure they all want to be known, i doubt any home studio is gonna run a sony oxford :D like SAE in Miami

The hardest part about learning anything new is figuring out what you DONT know. I mean to say figuring out what you need to learn. Does that make sense? Early in any educational process I think some type of mentor will save you hours if not years of frustration.

Your best bet would be to find a local studio and just volunteer your time. I'm sure they would be happy to have somebody help set mics, run cables, make coffee, etc. Even just a few hours in the evening or on weekends.

They get free labor and you learn the biz. That is how I learned the basics.

Back